Right wing broadheads left wing fletch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right wing broadheads left wing fletch?

Just noticed that my Badger broadheads say right wing fletch but my arrows are left wing fletch. Guess this is gonna be a problem. Any advice?

With single bevels, you really need to match right to right or left to left. Otherwise, you will be negating the benefits of the single bevel broadhead.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks Bisch,
      I kinda figured that was the way it needed to be. I need all the help I can get. Will see if I can return them. Do most right handed shooters shoot left wing fletch? I would assume that helps it rotate away from the shelf.

Comment

That is just personal preference, and one way is not any better than the other. I am right handed and shoot right wing feathers.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
          Thanks Bisch,
          I kinda figured that was the way it needed to be. I need all the help I can get. Will see if I can return them. Do most right handed shooters shoot left wing fletch? I would assume that helps it rotate away from the shelf.
          Told ya you can just give them to me. ha, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
            Told ya you can just give them to me. ha, ha.
            If I can't find a receipt to exchange then I will send them to you. Or I could just get some right fletch arrows.

Comment

It would be most likely cheaper to re fletch your arrows

Comment

Right wing + Left wing = Moderate Flight.

Comment

Originally posted by BRIAN OKONSKI View Post
                  It would be most likely cheaper to re fletch your arrows
                  I would do this

Comment

Do most right handed shooters shoot left wing fletch? I would assume that helps it rotate away from the shelf.
                    This is what was considered correct in the old days but like Bisch says, it really doesn't matter. You won't be able to tell the difference shooting them.

JC

Comment

Unless you are using something other than the fletching to initiate spin of the arrow, the fletching does not start the arrow spinning until it is well clear of the bow.

In the days of shooting off the hand, or knuckle, or any bow that causes fletching contact with the bow hand, it was/is a good idea for right hand shooters to shoot left wing, and left hand shooters to shoot right wing.

The reason for that has very little to do with the actual quality of the tuning, shot, arrow flight, or accuracy.

What it did/does mainly have to do with is to keep the leading end of quill of the fletching from piercing into your hand or knuckle.

With a little attentive leading edge smoothing & sealing of the fletching this problem can be eliminated regardless of wing selection.

With the utilization of shooting from most shelves, or any elevated rest, the wing selection of the fletching makes absolutely ZERO difference in the ability to tune, or shoot with accuracy & comfort.

There are however a couple of things to note:

(1) Unless steps are taken to lock the threads, the use of left wing can cause screw in points & broadheads to loosen upon impact.

(2) Using the opposite wing fletching from that of a single bevel broadhead can somewhat negate the twisting effect imparted by the head at impact. It does not eliminate it, but it does significantly lessen the force of it.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        Right wing + Left wing = Moderate Flight.
                        No moderate flight in this house!

Thanks Rick. That explains why my field points always get loose when shooting.
                        Why does 3rivers fletch all their arrows left wing? I have learned a lot on here in my short trad career. I am almost ready to draw blood.

Comment

Why does 3rivers fletch all their arrows left wing? I have learned a lot on here in my short trad career.
                          It's really a personal preference thing, PLUS a lot of the time it is an availability thing. Could be that 3Rivers gets a better deal on left wing than they do right wing supply purchases. Who knows.

The bottom line is - if you think it helps you, then by all means use left wing. I have just never been able to tell any difference between left & right unless the fletching was contacting my bow hand, and in that case it can make a difference.

I tune my arrows for complete fletching clearance at pass. Due to this, I can mix both left wing & right wing of both feather & vane fletched arrows into a quiver full, and can't tell any difference in how they shoot. Another notable thing to doing this is - I never get any fletching wear simply from shooting the arrows across the rest or shelf.

Rick

Comment

Here's the scoop, lol... Back in the day they hand trimmed or clipped the turkey wings to keep the turkeys from flying off from the turkey farm. OK, since most folks are right handed it was the right wing that was trimmed 90% of the time. To add to this, left hand scissors are hard to come especially cheap ones that work well. Therefore the left wing was available in tact for the archery suppliers to make feathers from after the turkey was processed. In fact, 30 years ago right wing feathers were very hard to come by, if they could be had at all.

Today, well it has been covered above.

Comment

Working...
                            X