Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping your fletching dry while hunting in the rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping your fletching dry while hunting in the rain?

The last couple of years, when hunting in the rain I have just covered my flethings in the quiver with a 1 gallon zip lock bag. Three Rivers sells 3 different fletching covers but they all look cheap and get poor reviews. The plastic bag works OK I guess but I'm wondering what you all use to keep your fletches from getting soaked.

If it's raining hard I drink beer instead of hunting.

Comment

I cover mine......with a tent blind!

Sorry, no real help, if it's raining that hard, I stay home.

LD

Comment

I used to spray my feathers with Dry Fly spray and it kept them standing up pretty good.
        Now days if it is raining, I get in a ground blind

Comment

If you are in an area that really gets that much rain, you should consider shooting vanes off an elevated rest.
          If you dnt want to do that, then I've had good luck with gateway feather dry. I don't like feather covers, because feathers are loud when they brush up against even a little, let alone pulling them out of a cover. I know people use them and like them, but I try to eliminate any and all problems. Hunting trad is already hard enough lol

Comment

I haven't found anything that is great, but I've had decent luck with Dry Fly Floatant or Scotchgard.

Comment

Dry Fly Floatant or Scotchgard work pretty good, but I prefer to coat mine with plastic.

Rick

Comment

Years ago I used a product called ducks back, not sure if it is around anymore sure worked good

Comment

I have been thinking of trying this http://www.neverwet.com/
                  but I aint seen rain in so long I keep forgetting to buy it.
                  I believe Lowes and other hardware type stores have it

Comment

In bad Weather I use a Cat Quiver keeps the Fletch covered

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      The last couple of years, when hunting in the rain I have just covered my flethings in the quiver with a 1 gallon zip lock bag. Three Rivers sells 3 different fletching covers but they all look cheap and get poor reviews. The plastic bag works OK I guess but I'm wondering what you all use to keep your fletches from getting soaked.
                      Some of my best hunts have been in drizzle or light rain. Like others have stated drive fly floatant is what I use.

Comment

I also choose a ground blind if possible when it is raining. A baggie works find for the walk in. Sometimes the wind direction dictates a hunt from a tripod when it is raining. The feathers that get wet are the ones on the arrow I have nocked, ready and exposed to the rain. I will give Scotchguard or something similar a try - I gotta believe that wet and wilted feathers don't steer an arrow very well

Comment

I use the No Snow or whatever it's called that is made to spray on the whisker biscuit. It works well. I actually shot a deer once and got a pass thru and thought I missed low because I couldn't see blood on my feathers from the stand with my binoculars.
                          Last edited by Featherflinger; 10-20-2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Jerp, I do what you do on the ones in the quiver, hard to beat the ziploc bag! One thing I've done for the arra ya have nocked and ready is; take one of the samwich size ziplocs, split it long-ways kinda like an old style tent, and drape it over your feathers while waiting. Real easy to "pinch" top and slip off when the time comes. You can even slightly seal the ziploc portion below the fletching a half inch or so if wind tries to blow it from where it supposed to stay. I hope I explained that ok One thing I've noticed about wet feathers is not their inability to steer, but the separation of the feather when it gets wet, makes them pretty noisy in flight! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I made a cover using a vacuum seal bag. They are tougher than zip locks and you can make them as long as you want. I painted mine and duct taped some plyable metal around the mouth.

I also switched to Natural wild turkey feathers,they hold up a whole lot better in the rain.
                              Not to mention they are a lot tougher feather. I haven't had to replace or refletch any arrows in over a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X