No announcement yet.

LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice take XBOW STALKER! I have renewed faith in the quartering to shot!

First time hunting LBJ was yesterday...I got in a tree around 2:45 pm, had a doe on me in range before I was even ready. bummer. A Buck came into view about an hour later, but on my blind side (right). Big body, likely a 3-4 yr old deer...but his rack had barely a point on his right side, and a pretty thick antler on the left which had 3 points. Had to go back and re-read the antler restrictions, and am still not 100% whether I should take him if a next time comes around or wait for big poppa. Good luck to you. Again, fine take on public land!

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
      Nice take XBOW STALKER! I have renewed faith in the quartering to shot!

First time hunting LBJ was yesterday...I got in a tree around 2:45 pm, had a doe on me in range before I was even ready. bummer. A Buck came into view about an hour later, but on my blind side (right). Big body, likely a 3-4 yr old deer...but his rack had barely a point on his right side, and a pretty thick antler on the left which had 3 points. Had to go back and re-read the antler restrictions, and am still not 100% whether I should take him if a next time comes around or wait for big poppa. Good luck to you. Again, fine take on public land!

As long as his one side or both is a spike it's a legal deer and I believe in wise county you can shoot 2 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you hogman$.

Comment

For anyone that maybe heading out. They are about to start burning. Here are a list of the units

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for that. Good to know if you, uh, have a friend, that might have put a game camera out at waist height. I'll let him know.

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
                Wow. Thanks for that. Good to know if you, uh, have a friend, that might have put a game camera out at waist height. I'll let him know.
                I've got one in one of those units lol. I'll be sure to grab it this weekend.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmith_FO01 View Post
                  For anyone that maybe heading out. They are about to start burning. Here are a list of the units

I might have a few critters I was interested in on one or two of those units... Do y'all know how these burns tend to impact the wildlife? Are we talking ruined for the season if they hit a unit late October?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not sure, I’m new to this area. I’d say it’s probably like anywhere else. They are going to head for another section of land.

Comment

I'll be out tomorrow. Hoping that when the rain stops and temps drop 20 degrees, deer will be up in the am hours. Good luck fellas!

Comment

Out here today tomorrow and Monday really liking the looks of Monday

Comment

Today is too hot, there is college football to be enjoyed, and my 11 yr old has a football game in Celina 3:30 - 5:30 pm.
                          Will be really glad to be in the tree before dawn to hunt the front. Hoping to have had some activity (since Wednesday) on camera to share. Good luck y'all. Should be interesting.

Comment

small buck but cool looking antlers

Comment

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558...T3_3926004.pdf

LBJ Savanna Restoration Project. I thought this was interesting reading.

Proposes pretty aggressive land management practices (mainly more prescribed burns and grazing, along with dozers) to remove scrub, thickets, and cedar. It seems the goal is to promote savanna/prairie-like habitat - namely, a mostly tall grass landscape with post oaks scattered about creating only 10% to 50% canopy coverage. Also proposes earthworks to restore streams to their original stream beds.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                                small buck but cool looking antlers

Very cool-thick beams.

Comment

Working...
                                X