free choice corn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

free choice corn

I've been feeding some protein from my 55 gal drum with the attachment. Thinking of once August gets here, to just start filling it with straight corn. Instead of setting up my feed with timer settings. Anyone on here do this? Pros, cons?

Cons are going to be coons and birds and might encourage deer to be on the nocturnal side. Not sure what the pros are, could increase traffic maybe.

Comment

Not sure what your setup is, but if it's a funnel down to a 2, 3 or 4 way, the corn will like just slide right on out and not stay in there like the protein does. Along with that I really can't see any pros other than maybe holding more deer in your area than your neighbor will be able to. But you better be ready to fill it up often.

Comment

I would not advise it if you are in a area with heavy mast crops or into a drought time with limited natural forage. Free choice corn could cause you a lot of problems. I mixed corn 50/50 with protein one spring and fed it into the fall till we had a huge mast crop or persimmons/acorns. Lost quite a few deer that year in late summer and early fall.

Comment

Thanks fellas. I got to thinking that if I have my timer set for two feedings, they will come back when feeder goes off. Plus, I don't want to feed the coons and squirrels all day long. going to put up a feed pen also. Dadgum swine.

Comment

don't let your deer freebase corn. trust me on this, it's not pretty

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley64 View Post
              Could please elaborate on this comment. Thanks

Comment

unless its their birthday or something like that....

Comment

I also would like to know what the problem is with letting them eat all they want.

Comment

What is the difference in feeding corn in a free choice feeder then just feeding the ground ? For the people that don't agree with a free choice corn feeder ?

Comment

freeĀ·base
                      ˈfrēˌbās/
                      noun
                      cocaine that has been converted from its salt to its base form by heating with ether or boiling with sodium bicarbonate, taken by inhaling the fumes or smoking the residue.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                        unless its their birthday or something like that....
                        And neked chicks involved.

Comment

Feed year round. Bunch of back yard pets. So how much is too much?

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                            Feed year round. Bunch of back yard pets. So how much is too much?
                            When you set up unlimited access to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                              What is the difference in feeding corn in a free choice feeder then just feeding the ground ? For the people that don't agree with a free choice corn feeder ?
                              Try it and you'll soon find out.

Coons.
                              Nocturnal deer.
                              The corn will be gone within days.

Corn is best utilized as an attractant, not a full-on food source. Small amounts dispensed on the ground at key times during the day attracts the deer to your area at times they will be most likely moving around and foraging.

Not to mention a deer is a ruminant animal and a heavy corn diet will be detrimental to their health.

Comment

Working...
                              X