Good fences make good neighbors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good fences make good neighbors

Or is it, stupid fence construction means you have a stupid neighbor?

Our back left corner shares approx. 575 feet with the neighbor behind us. He had mentioned wanting to hang mesh wire on our barbed wire fence so he could put goats in there to keep an ag exemption.
    Construction wise, our cedar post are offset to his side and have 6 strands of barbed wire on our interior, so that would not work out well.
    2 weeks ago, his Dad set corner post next to ours and set a brace next to our steel post brace. I noticed our corner is now about 4" out of plumb and beginning to move.
    Monday I noticed t-post directly in line with our t-post but they had dug out for cedar post 8-12ish inched right next to our cedar post.
    The holes appear to be about 24" deep. There are 11 or 12 cedars.
    Tuesday, I met with the owner and expressed my concerns. We agreed that its definitely not the correct way to build this, but according to him, he lost that argument with his dad (dad is about 6 or 7 years my senior).
    So here I sit with 11 or 12 penetrations that are going to allow water to loosen up my cedar post.
    I agreed to let this ride about 18 months and see what happens.
    In the meantime, I am thinking I am going to pull my staples out of my cedar post so they do not have tension on them. I am also going to relieve the tension on our pipe corners so they will stop moving.

Any other suggestions?

In addition - we have not had any real heavy rains in the past 30 or so days and we are pretty much a sandy loam with a 6" clay shelf / hardpan about 24 - 30" deep. This is all flat property and does retain moisture hold water when we do have heavy rains.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kbar; 05-24-2018, 03:30 AM.

Allow him to redo your existing fence with goat wire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
      Allow him to redo your existing fence with goat wire?

We had our fence built +/- 7 years ago.
      Nothing wrong with our existing fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
        We had our fence built +/- 7 years ago.
        Nothing wrong with our existing fence.
        Or maybe I'm overthinking this - I dunno????????

Comment

Understood. I was just thinking how to avoid damage to your fence.
          We have a similar problem on one of our fence lines.... neighbor will not cut tree growth on his side of the fence. It gets frustrating

Comment

Can they run three strands of electric off your posts?

Comment

Fences are fun.

One of our neighbors have horses. Their fields are dirt because they have way too many horses. The horses destroy my fence by pushing through to get to our grass. Her fix was to spray roundup about 5 feet onto my side so there is nothing for the horses to try to reach.

Another side has the guy that says I am the idiot that doesn't trim the trees on my side to maintain MY fence. Uncle Saggy, I hope we aren't neighbors. In my defense, I don't want to see the new subdivision that was put on my fence line so I let it all grow. My neighbor decided to help me out and jump the fence with at least 15 no trespassing signs and cut down some of my trees. Hopefully I straightened him out.

Sorry I am just venting now.

Tell him to run electric fence. We have about 40 goats and electricity works. One of my pastures has an electric fence about 10 feet inside my other fence to keep the goats away from the horse lady. It works and is very low maintenance. I hung it on the fiberglass rods from TSC.

Comment

what a dadgum mess kbar. people are so ignorant. anyway, the wire should help the post hold. if not, you havent touched a thing, and they can be billed for the entire fix, i assume.

Comment

You’d have been better off letting him hang net-wire on his side of your posts. That short a run wouldn’t have hurt it as long as he didn’t pull it crazy tight.

Sorry you have to deal with this now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    Fences are fun.

One of our neighbors have horses. Their fields are dirt because they have way too many horses. The horses destroy my fence by pushing through to get to our grass. Her fix was to spray roundup about 5 feet onto my side so there is nothing for the horses to try to reach.

Another side has the guy that says I am the idiot that doesn't trim the trees on my side to maintain MY fence. Uncle Saggy, I hope we aren't neighbors. In my defense, I don't want to see the new subdivision that was put on my fence line so I let it all grow. My neighbor decided to help me out and jump the fence with at least 15 no trespassing signs and cut down some of my trees. Hopefully I straightened him out.

Sorry I am just venting now.

Tell him to run electric fence. We have about 40 goats and electricity works. One of my pastures has an electric fence about 10 feet inside my other fence to keep the goats away from the horse lady. It works and is very low maintenance. I hung it on the fiberglass rods from TSC.

Lol
                    Being that you replied in English and not Vietnamese it’s safe to say we are not neighbors [emoji23]

I have trees near the fence too, but still have room to keep the fence cleaned up
                    This guy is letting grow into the fence

Comment

I don't know why people will do things with out talking to their neighbor. Pick up the phone and work something out.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                        Fences are fun.

electricity works.
                        Both of the above are true statements.

If you approach the neighbor about electric fence, use cost as a motivator. It should be significantly cheaper for him to run electric over mesh.

Comment

I could spend a week taking pics of fences around me than new “ranchers” are building that would make you cry laughing..... and spent thousands to build them.

Comment

I had not thought about electric fence but I will approach them with that.

Yes I have built and seen some of those owner built fences - we learned thats its better to leave it to someone that does it everyday.

This is the first t-post after they set their corner - and a shot after they set their t-post.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Kbar; 05-24-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

what a dingleberry!

i'm in the electric camp as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X