Kenai Alaska suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenai Alaska suggestions

Headed to Alaska in late August to celebrate the our 50th anniversary. Doing a one way cruise then renting a car and staying a few days around Denali. After that we are headed to the Kenai peninsula for 5 days. Hoping to bend a rod for a couple of those days. Kind of thought that $275 was a little steep for halibut charter where you are limited to 2 fish. Any suggestions from you Alaska veterans would be much appreciated.

considering what halibut costs per pound in the grocery store, depending who you go with, 275$ is a steal for some amazing meat. What kind of fishing are you wanting to do?

Comment

Probably salmon for the most part. I know Kings will be off limits then but I think Silvers will be around and maybe some Rainbows as well. Hoping to catch a grayling up towards Denali.

Comment

Let me check with my uncle he goes up there every year to fish for halibut

Comment

Silvers will be there in late august, trout and dolly's will be almost in peak timing as well. Are you planning on taking some poles with you for grayling and salmon, renting some somewhere, or going with a guide?

Comment

Was thinking about taking my Lew's baitcaster then renting a rod in Anchorage for the few days. Also have a medium Penn Battle spinning reel I can take for the smaller species. No guide. After 4 days in Victoria, 7 days on a cruise, then 8 days in Alaska I am going to have to start hunting billfolds and picking up aluminum cans on the side of the road to pay for all of this.

Comment

I hear ya, Alaska can get get expensive quick. My suggestion for grayling and most trout would be a small 5 or 10 size spinning reel as you'll need to be casting small baits such as 1/24 and 1/32 oz. It is my preference to use a spinning reel for salmon for all species but kings, but that is just my personal preference. For bank fishing on your own since you will not have a boat my suggestion would be hiking up the russian river to the falls to chunk spinners for silvers. If you want to spend a little bit to rent kayak or canoe you can experience some amazing silver fishing by paddling the swan lakes system. I would recommend the book "Fishing Alaska's Kenai Peninsula" by Dave Atchison for some basic and in depth insight on fishing on your own and not using a guide. There is also a book called "fishing alaska's highway system" that names a lot of places that are easily accessible.

Comment

If you're going to rent a car I would highly recommend you get a copy of "The Milepost".

Comment

That's the going rate for halibut. They've been pretty well over fished hence the 2 fish limit. You'll probably have to run a ways too. If you really want halibut, I would suggest going out of Homer and find a guide that will run you out to the Perl Island area. We've always done really well there, but it is about 2 hour run.

Silvers will be coming in during August. Personally, those are my favorite salmon for both eating and fighting. Especially if you can fish salt water. If you'll be driving down to the Kenai, spend a couple of days in Seward. You can fish saltwater silvers from the bank of Resurrection Bay.....or you can go out with a guide. Halibut charters run out of Seward too. A good place to fish for silvers on the Kenai River is Morgan's Landing between Soldotna and Sterling. You can drive there. We used to be the only one's fishing that hole, but not anymore. However, it's not as crowded as the Russian River.
                  They have parking and good access to the river. You can bank fish there. You'll pass my mom's house about a quarter mile before you hit the river.

It's an even numbered year, so you'll have to fight a lot of humpies to get the silvers. Especially in the Kenai.

And those books referenced above are pretty good source for DIY fishing.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    If you're going to rent a car I would highly recommend you get a copy of "The Milepost".

https://shop.themilepost.com/product...f-the-milepost
                    If I can find the one I bought I'll see if I can send it to you. PM me if you want it.

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                    That's the going rate for halibut. They've been pretty well over fished hence the 2 fish limit. You'll probably have to run a ways too. If you really want halibut, I would suggest going out of Homer and find a guide that will run you out to the Perl Island area. We've always done really well there, but it is about 2 hour run.

Silvers will be coming in during August. Personally, those are my favorite salmon for both eating and fighting. Especially if you can fish salt water. If you'll be driving down to the Kenai, spend a couple of days in Seward. You can fish saltwater silvers from the bank of Resurrection Bay.....or you can go out with a guide. Halibut charters run out of Seward too. A good place to fish for silvers on the Kenai River is Morgan's Landing between Soldotna and Sterling. You can drive there. We used to be the only one's fishing that hole, but not anymore. However, it's not as crowded as the Russian River.
                    They have parking and good access to the river. You can bank fish there. You'll pass my mom's house about a quarter mile before you hit the river.

It's an even numbered year, so you'll have to fight a lot of humpies to get the silvers. Especially in the Kenai.
                    And those books referenced above are pretty good source for DIY fishing.

Hope that helps.
                    I went out of Homer as you suggested. They actually went another 30-40 minutes past Perl Island so I assume that area is being overfished now also. It was a better boat ride than fishing experience. Ended up being 7-8 hour boat ride and fishing for 2.5 hours or so. We had a motor fail once we were all the way out.

Comment

Ha! - Last time I went we lost an engine on the way OUT to Perl Island. Ended up fishing just off of Port Graham and we actually did ok. You didn't by chance go out with Big Bear did you?

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. 70 years old and never been to Alaska. I am like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here.

Comment

If you fish halibut out of Homer, you may want to steer clear of the big party boat charters. I don't mean they party like wild men but cater to large groups of fishermen. Those can be a real cluster. Too many people fishing side by side, getting lines tangeled up and overall an annoying experience. If you do go that route, wait till most of the folks have already caught their two fish and then fish when almost everyone is done. It will be much easier and enjoyable. This is a humpie year so you can really catch a lot of humpies from the bank. I am bringing my kids and grandkids in August. You will have a great time.

Comment

I hear conflicting reports about the humpies being edible. Not so for the silvers.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
                              Thanks for the help guys. 70 years old and never been to Alaska. I am like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here.
                              I'm EXCITED for you folks! At 65 now, always been my dream to go there as well!! Have a BLAST and post pics so I can relish your trip and still dream of mine someday?!!

Comment

Working...
                              X