castrating an older donkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

castrating an older donkey

I have a 9 or 10 year old male donkey. He is pretty cool except I recently got two female horses. I have them in separate areas but he knows they are there and he i constantly attacking the fence trying to get in there. He is hurting himself. He also always attacks the fence between me and the neighbors with female horses. I am wondering if castrating him would do any good or if he is too old and set in his ways.

Please video if you do......

Comment

I'll take two tickets to this event!!

Comment

haha man it wont hurt him at all as a matter of fact i just castrated one the other day and he was like 10, we were needing another donkey to track to train our horses and heel also and we had a lil donkey roping stretched him out laid him down and he had surgery in the roping arena........ sorry pic guroos i was not able to get that done but before we did it he was all over the other donkey we have and after minor break in some cords he was done. so the answer to your question is yes it will help and its not too old by any means.............. have you ever castrated one?

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechman View Post
          haha man it wont hurt him at all as a matter of fact i just castrated one the other day
          now how do you know that for sure. . . . hurt me just thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
            LMAO!!!

Comment

I won't be doing it. I will pay someone to do it and I will assist (watch).

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                x2

That sounds like a nurse or doctor right before they give you a shot or better yet before you would get one of those good old whoopins from your daddy and he always said it want hurt

Comment

There shouldn't be a problem. The last farm I worked at we castrated a 15 year old stud. He had been bred many times. The new owner wanted to turn him out and not breed him, but he was valuable, so the insurance made us put an extra rider on for the procedure b/c of his age. There were no problems, and he was turned out with mares after 6 months.
                  A stud can still impregnate a mare for up to 3 months after being castrated, but we wanted to be sure!

Comment

Will he calm down and quit attacking fences between him and the neighbor horses?

Comment

oh yeah no doubt, he is just runnin with testosterone like any male does it'll definately slow his roll brotha!

Comment

Remind me not to **** you off.

Comment

I am making a note right now..... "If I ever go hunting on Stinkbelly's place do not 1) mess with his mares 2) mess up his fence" Sorry couldn't resist.

To answer your question, Yes it will calm him down just like any other animal.

-crb

Comment

He should be fine. He might even become best friends with your mares!

Comment

So who on the TBH wants to come out and cut him? I am offering a case of beer, a video to be viewed by all TBHers, and a couple of free donkeys to take home with you or whatever you charge.
                              Last edited by stinkbelly; 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X