Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a bareshaft centripetally oscillate when shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's something to think about.

Yes, it is an imperfection in the material, that creates a balance offset, which then creates a natural rotation.

Now, with that in mind:
    Could you not change the direction of that rotation simply by changing the nock position to change where that balance offset initially occurs? Pretty sure you can.

By the way - this is nothing new.
    I've seen folks plug the ends of, and float their carbons in the bathtub to find the heavy side (which is always the stiffest side).
    They then marked that heavy side, and made sure their nock orientation was the same in relation to that side on every shaft.

This process served two purposes.
    (1) It finds the stiffest side of the shaft for determining where you want it's orientation to the strike plate, or launcher.
    (2) It allows you to set your arrows up, so that stiffness, and weight offset can be aligned/matched on every shaft using nock orientation.

Then, there's that thing about your fingers on the string. The torque on the string from your fingers is going to change all that up drastically, and since we're human, it likely changes it a bit different from one shot to the next.

This stuff may have some significant impact on shooters using bows placing the arrow at perfectly center shot position, and using a mechanical release that does not create any torque on the string, but like I said, once you place your fingers on that string all of those consistent results are gone.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
      I couldnt ever see if Nestly was shooting left handed or right handed. Im thinking right handed the way his gear belt was set up.
      Yes, Nestly is a righty.

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
      Here's something to think about.

Yes, it is an imperfection in the material, that creates a balance offset, which then creates a natural rotation.

Now, with that in mind:
      Could you not change the direction of that rotation simply by changing the nock position to change where that balance offset initially occurs? Pretty sure you can.

By the way - this is nothing new.
      I've seen folks plug the ends of, and float their carbons in the bathtub to find the heavy side (which is always the stiffest side).
      They then marked that heavy side, and made sure their nock orientation was the same in relation to that side on every shaft.

This process served two purposes.
      (1) It finds the stiffest side of the shaft for determining where you want it's orientation to the strike plate, or launcher.
      (2) It allows you to set your arrows up, so that stiffness, and weight offset can be aligned/matched on every shaft using nock orientation.

Then, there's that thing about your fingers on the string. The torque on the string from your fingers is going to change all that up drastically, and since we're human, it likely changes it a bit different from one shot to the next.

This stuff may have some significant impact on shooters using bows placing the arrow at perfectly center shot position, and using a mechanical release that does not create any torque on the string, but like I said, once you place your fingers on that string all of those consistent results are gone.

Rick
      Rick, this is called spine indexing and has been, as you stated, going on for a long time; even when all we had were Aluminum arrows.

However, I have never found that indexing the nock of an arrow to effect the arrow's natural direction of rotation. This goes back to not really knowing what forces cause the natural rotation to begin with.

I have some arrows that go one direction, and others that go the other; sometimes out of the same dozen.

But I agree with you, fingers on the string may counter all of this; I wouldn't know, my fingers haven't drawn a bow in 20 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
        But I agree with you, fingers on the string may counter all of this; I wouldn't know, my fingers haven't drawn a bow in 20 years or so.
        That's why I brought it up. Few (if any) on this side of the forum will be using a release aid.

I'm not disagreeing with the phenomenon. Not in the least.
        I just don't believe it will ever apply to a finger shooter.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          That's why I brought it up. Few (if any) on this side of the forum will be using a release aid.

I'm not disagreeing with the phenomenon. Not in the least.
          I just don't believe it will ever apply to a finger shooter.

Rick
          I would think that clocking would be exacerbated by a finger flinger due to more torque exerted on the string and subsequently on the arrow shaft. Versus a release aid used to eliminate the torque...eliminate more variable inconsistencies that finger flingers accomodate.

Rick... I appreciate your input and especially tidbits of tuning tricks like the bathtub indexing.

Comment

Working...
          X