Generators and Deer Camp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generators and Deer Camp?

Been saving my $$ and getting on my TBH son's lease for 2016. They just got another section of ranch land, put's them at just under 2000 acres for next year. One camp has electric, no water...the one they just got has a camp "party house," several expensive covered sites for an RV but NO electric.

So, my decision: Do I take a spot with the other lease members at the camp that has electric...or do I opt for the "open" spots at the other camp? The "open" spots are only a quarter of a mile from the main camp, concrete slabs for 3 RV's, easy access but again..no power? What type generator would I need to run up to a 30' RV? It would have to run lights, AC and if easier on the generator...just space heaters? Of course, would also need to power water pump, microwave and fridge.

The other guys bring in water and transfer to their RV holding tanks, done this before so no problem with that. My ONLY experience with generators was a motor home I had years ago..fully self contained. It did great, but a little noisy.

Any thoughts or opinions? I will have to find an RV, put in a "red neck" septic..yeah, those 55 gallon barrels in the ground....so need some experienced advice.

Thanks GS!

Amigo...after all I been through with deer lease drama??

My decision would be based solely on where the good vibe is in regards to other members & nothing more than great camp life.

Regardless, a good quiet generator with Honda power...get more than you think you need.

Comment

Go with the electricity....... You can leave the fridge loaded.... Sucks having to haul food every time you go

Comment

Yep, I'm all about good vibe! There is really no drama on my son's lease, so not a factor! I'm just set in my ways and Momma and I are leaning towards more privacy. The younger ones are really not a "party crowd." The ONE guy who's got the personality of a SLUG, is leaving (so he says) this year. I know what you mean about drama...managed a lease in Sterling City for 10+ years with many members...most were great but a couple were jerks...we eventually got rid of them.

Thanks and more opinions are welcomed....

Comment

I had to deal with a generator at camp this past year. Even though I pretty much have super human strength, it was still a huge inconvenience messing with it. Go with electric if you have the opportunity.

Comment

Good Point!

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
            Go with the electricity....... You can leave the fridge loaded.... Sucks having to haul food every time you go
            Great point, had not thought of that, but I'm the type OCD, that I take food whenever I go and take what we don't eat home. I know...just us.

Comment

Id go electric, but

If you decide to go the generator route, you are going to need at least a 4kw. We run our 28' on a 5.5kw standard with plenty of power but LOUD. Our ols 3.5kw would barely hold the loads. My advise would be a 4 kw honda inverter if your budget allows. They are so quite that after a while, you hardly notice them if they are placed a little distance off. Also, your propane beat will pull WAY less than space heaters!!! I can run all night on one 31 series deep cycle battery and still have plenty of power left the next day. I can normally get 2 nights out of it in 30 degree weatber before having to fire up the generator to charge the battery.

Comment

A good generator is expensive....and just one more thing to worry about and maintain. If you have electric, go for it. Plus, it's nice when there's no constant buzzing to listen to.

Comment

Tie in and Run electric to the other sites as well.

Comment

Great advice so far all.....as far as tying in to the other site....price quoted is WAY too much for my bank!

Comment

Tie in and Run electric to the other sites as well.
                      This but if too expensive then go where the electricity is.

I've done the generator thing and there's nothing like having to go outside when it's raining and cold and fill the dang thing up.

Comment

I would take the electricity over the hassle of a generator

Comment

Spot with Electric. When it's cold you can run 1 of those little ceramic heaters and it will keep you pretty warm. If only generator you going to have to run propane furnace and go thru a lot of propane. Or run the generator all night and burn a ton of gas.

Comment

If you decide to go with a generator,figure out the gas consumption so you won't have to get up in the middle of the night in the rain a d mud and cold to refuel.....I'd go with electricity.

Comment

I would go electricity. How is the security there? Are you going to have to transport the generator each trip or leave it for the season? A 5500 is not light weight. I used a John Deere 4500w, but it was a quiet gen like Hondas. It was around 2500.00 back 7-8 yrs ago. Then we finally paid the big bucks to get electricity setup, but we own the property,so it was worth it. If you go generator you need to consider building a small 3 sided shelter with roof, it will help divert the noise away from camp. Another thing to look into if you go generator, I think the Honda 2000 you can run in a series or hook them up together?? I read something like that, it would be some$$ but easier to move for one man and quieter than the BRiggs/Stratton powered gen sets

Comment

Working...
                              X