Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson
Default Worth even trying?

First off I have reached out to GW already. Still waiting to hear back.

Here is the issue. Last year I had a really neat Freak Buck (3 main beams) coming in daily from July to November. Actually watched him in person a couple times. I did not believe he was legal nor was he mature. I would have put him at 3.5 maybe 4.5 max. Anyway he disappeared just after Thanksgiving and I never got another pic of him.

During that same time I was keeping an eye on deer at the ranch I work for down the road 10 miles. Located in the same County. I watched a 140s 9pt with very distinctive G2s and G3s that curved in on a Tuesday running a doe. Took a couple pics with my phone for proof to show the boss. The land the deer was on is surrounded by family land of my boss except for a 100 acre area. This deer was nowhere near that 100 acre piece. 3 days later I am sitting in the stand at my place and a buddy text me saying my neighbor just killed a big buck next to me. I replied saying I'm in the stand and didn't hear anyone shoot. 30 minutes later he sends me pics of a dead buck. It ended up being the big 9pt that I watched 3 days earlier on a doe at my bosses place. Red flags immediately went up and I started making a couple phone calls. A week of trying to figure out where this deer was killed went and I finally just let it go.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. I was working cattle and had a neighbor call me for some work I needed done that he specializes in. We got onto the subject of hunting and I told him I would like to get to know anyone I am not familiar with that hunts around us. He seemed well management minded based off everything he told me. He starts mentioning a couple people and the guys name that killed the 9pt comes up. I didn't say anything and just let him continue on with his story. Ends up the guy shot the Freak (3 beam) buck on the property just north of mine. For one I really don't think the buck was legal. I have no issue if he decided to shoot it but I now have heard of 2 buck kills by this guy last season and who knows how many more. This same guy killed a 12pt I had on camera 2 seasons ago the last wknd of Muzzleloader supposedly on his home place which is 6 miles from my land. At the time I didn't own the land but my buddy was leasing it and he had pics the day before it was killed at his feeder. Buck must have traveled 6 miles in a 10 hr period for the Mineral block he says he shot it over. He was certain he poached it but there was no way of telling.

So what can be done. GW make a visit and see if he can find both racks? Would the guy just say his wife or kids shot them? Sure is frustrating. My inlaws know the guy very well and have had nothing but negative encounters with him.

I have pics of both bucks. I have contacts of people who stated what he shot last season.

Here is a pic of the Freak and Curved Tines 9pt. I know the pic of 9pt is blurry but if you zoom in you can see the curved tines and weak right side. I have text with details of the buck to my boss that morning well before it was killed that describe him exactly.
Attached Images

Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Not real sure if anything much can be done about those deer now. It would take significant time and effort on a GW's part to investigate, and I dont know if they would. Lots of speculation in the story, but I agree that something is fishy. May want to invest in a couple low end game cams and put them out in some hidden areas and maybe catch somebody moving around where they shouldnt be.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Dustinb09
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Tx

Man, I woulda liked to seen what the extra beam buck woulda looked like this year.
Dustinb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

If nothing else, if you told your story to a GW and presented him with what evidence you have, it would at least raise their awareness of the guy so maybe they can watch him a little closer in the future for violations. If he's an illegal hunter, he's not likely to change his habits and maybe he can be caught.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinb09 View Post
Man, I woulda liked to seen what the extra beam buck woulda looked like this year.
I know. I was really looking forward to seeing him with another year of growth.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
If nothing else, if you told your story to a GW and presented him with what evidence you have, it would at least raise their awareness of the guy so maybe they can watch him a little closer in the future for violations. If he's an illegal hunter, he's not likely to change his habits and maybe he can be caught.
That's what I'm thinking. Bring everything to their attention and I bet they keep a closer eye on him and his whereabouts.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

While some parts of what he did may be hard to pin down, like how many bucks he shot and where, the game warden can still cite and confiscate if the freak buck was under 13”. I would be really mad if I were you and would definitely tell the game warden. Many times people’s stories unravel when questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
centex_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex_aggie View Post
While some parts of what he did may be hard to pin down, like how many bucks he shot and where, the game warden can still cite and confiscate if the freak buck was under 13”. I would be really mad if I were you and would definitely tell the game warden. Many times people’s stories unravel when questioned.

GWs know how to keep questioning for them to slip up as well!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Try it....they love tips like this.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

So you mad one of your neighbors killed a buck you wanted? And are complaining to the GW? Seems pretty petty to me. You are basing all this on hearsay. You dont have any actual evidence. Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like your neighbors always in your business? Just my take on it. I dont have a dog in this whatever you call it.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #11
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Some guys have all the luck. Without any actual evidence nothing can be done. He may just be a really lucky hunter. At the end of the day I'd rather be lucky than good.
txhunter90 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
So you mad one of your neighbors killed a buck you wanted? And are complaining to the GW? Seems pretty petty to me. You are basing all this on hearsay. You dont have any actual evidence. Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like your neighbors always in your business? Just my take on it. I dont have a dog in this whatever you call it.
I'm by no means mad that a neighbor of low fence hunting killed a buck I was watching. That's part of it. As I stated in my OP good for him but hope he was legal. Too close for me to make that call! Killing 2 bucks in a 1 13" wider buck county I have a problem with. Poaching a deer off property that he has no permission to hunt I have a problem with. I'm not complaining to the Warden in the way you think. More like notifying him of illegal taking of game!

You say no actual evidence? Yeah ok. I'm not posting everything I have here!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

The county this took place in you can take 2 bucks. AR regs apply.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

I wouldn't hesitate to notify the GW, especially if you have hard evidence or at least enough to raise concerns of illegal doings. If he is innocent then that will be evident. 2 branched antlered bucks in one season, unless its legal in your county. I thought muzzleloader season was for taking doe and spikes only, unless your county is different?

The Triple Beam buck was nice and young. It would have been nice to see him live a couple more years.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #15
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to notify the GW, especially if you have hard evidence or at least enough to raise concerns of illegal doings. If he is innocent then that will be evident. 2 branched antlered bucks in one season, unless its legal in your county. I thought muzzleloader season was for taking doe and spikes only, unless your county is different?

The Triple Beam buck was nice and young. It would have been nice to see him live a couple more years.
Muzzleloader we can take a trophy buck. We are an AR County with 2 bucks a season. (1) 13" or greater. I can't say anything about the buck from 2 seasons ago. That was hearsay but sure was fishy! For the other 2 I have dang good evidence IMO.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #16
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Maybe wait till you here back from GW? Crazy, i know.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
ken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dew

Seems like between the guy's license log, pics of the deer, and the possibility of the guy having a sub 13" buck's antlers in his possession there might be something the game warden can find to stick if the game warden wants to pursue it.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #18
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

What are your thoughts on the Freak width?

11"-12"

Out of velvet he looked smaller.

If legal then good for him. Too close for my comfort. I just don't like that he went over the limit and can't control his itchy trigger finger.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #19
cuttingedge
Ten Point

Hunt In: hardly at all here

When I was a young man hunting my great aunt's property every year, it was hard at best to find a nice buck come hunting season. I would see them prior, then mostly small bucks during season.

I would hear a lot of rifle shots during archery season. Turns out there was a guy that had land bordering our property, and of course we knew him. One day my older brother took me and we stopped by the guys house. He showed us inside his barn, and he had more buck antlers in velvet than I have ever seen in my life. Poacher.

I was young enough when my brother told me not to turn him in, I didn't. This was in the sticks in AR, and back then folks would show up dead for crossing the wrong person. Once the guy died, I started seeing nicer bucks and in 2000 killed my biggest buck to date.
cuttingedge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #20
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
What are your thoughts on the Freak width?

11"-12"

Out of velvet he looked smaller.

If legal then good for him. Too close for my comfort. I just don't like that he went over the limit and can't control his itchy trigger finger.
I think the split beam deer looks right at 13". Too close for me to be comfortable as well.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #21
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

I think you did all you can do and hopefully the GW watches the party in question more closely.

The freak looks awfully close to me, but have been right at 13. Like you, I probably wouldn't have shot him, but it would have been hard.
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #22
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX & The "H" Some Years

It would seem to me if you have pics of both bucks last year and showed them to the game warden and the suspect has both of those racks in possession it would be an easy case of shooting two bucks in 1 Buck of 13" county plus one of them might be under.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #23
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I don't know about you but I get ****** off every time one of our 10-acre neighbor shoots one of our dear
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #24
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrdnk View Post
It would seem to me if you have pics of both bucks last year and showed them to the game warden and the suspect has both of those racks in possession it would be an easy case of shooting two bucks in 1 Buck of 13" county plus one of them might be under.
Sounds like it would be black/white, but what if he says he shot one and his kid or wife or girlfriend shot the other......? Would be hard to prove otherwise at this point in the game.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX & The "H" Some Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan16 View Post
Sounds like it would be black/white, but what if he says he shot one and his kid or wife or girlfriend shot the other......? Would be hard to prove otherwise at this point in the game.
True but there is always the deer log on the back of the license and also may not have even bothered to tag the deer. Never no though at least gets him on the radar of the GW.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #26
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Call the prospective perp and play friendly. Talk about management goals, deer populations, blah blah...bring beer. Get him lubed and see if you can befriend him to expose the harvested critters from last year. Maybe encourage him to let some walk and see how he takes it.

Give him some rope and see if he hangs himself.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #27
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
I sure agree with that.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #28
Hunting4fun
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
I don't know about you but I get ****** off every time one of our 10-acre neighbor shoots one of our dear
One of "your" deer? Say what?
Hunting4fun is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #29
BigJimmyRustler
Six Point

Hunt In: Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
This is probably true.

If I were you OP I wouldn't expect anything to come of it to be honest.
If the GW asks him and he says his wife or child shot one (rather they actually did or didn't) and doesn't say much else then what more can really be done?
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #30
cj_sandman
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Can’t hurt to give it a shot. Worst case nothing comes of it but maybe it’ll put him on the GW’s radar
cj_sandman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #31
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

I wouldn’t call the law on the guy unless I talked to him first, and to be honest, I wouldn’t even go out of my way to do that. I realize that my outlook on it is probably pretty different than most folk’s on this forum, but I just wouldn’t cross someone over a deer. Bucks get killed every kind of way and there are just too many running around to create a stink with a neighbor, IMO.

There’s no real evidence that the guy did anything wrong. A lot of people have mentioned that the worst case scenario is that the GW watches the guy. I disagree. The worst case scenario is that the guy hears that someone called the law on him rather than comestraight to him and decides to kill every buck he sees next year.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 PM   #32
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Do you call the DPS if you think a person is speeding?
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #33
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
I wouldn’t call the law on the guy unless I talked to him first, and to be honest, I wouldn’t even go out of my way to do that. I realize that my outlook on it is probably pretty different than most folk’s on this forum, but I just wouldn’t cross someone over a deer. Bucks get killed every kind of way and there are just too many running around to create a stink with a neighbor, IMO.

There’s no real evidence that the guy did anything wrong. A lot of people have mentioned that the worst case scenario is that the GW watches the guy. I disagree. The worst case scenario is that the guy hears that someone called the law on him rather than comestraight to him and decides to kill every buck he sees next year.
He isn't a neighbor!
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 PM   #34
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma
Default Worth even trying?

I would call. It seems like there is enough suspicion and other hearsay to do so. Especially if you have heard he killed two 13”+ bucks in a single county. If the GWs find anything that’s up to them. But like someone else said, it would at least raise concern on the future on the individual.

Edit: some may say it’s petty, but I spend a lot of time, money, and effort into ethical hunting as do most. And as someone who’s had poachers (never caught but neighbor was driving up on them before they could get plates), it ****** me off.

Last edited by Ryan81; 07-03-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #35
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

In for the results

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2018, 01:04 AM   #36
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

I would throw a brick through his front window with the words POACHER written on it in blood
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top