Duck Hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Hunting?

Have never been a duck hunter so I am being serious and just curious.

I don't know much about it but see guys super into it!

So what is it about duck hunting that people like? Or I should ask, what is it to YOU that you like to help me understand.

I see alot of threads about duck meat this or that. If you don't like the meat, why do it?

Just curious

I love the meat. We never waste it.

The thrill of laying on a river bank, being freezing cold with your buddies and mans best friend next to you watching fog come up off the water, while drinking coffee waiting to hear the buzzing fly by you. It gets me every time. The adrenaline rush from a big group of green heads coming in and watching the dogs work is priceless.

And on good days, your limited out by 7:30-8:00 a.m. and the beer drinking commences

Comment

The quick rush, can socialize, fun shooting, and its just another form of hunting

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb03 View Post

The thrill of laying on a river bank, being freezing cold with your buddies and mans best friend next to you watching fog come up off the water, while drinking coffee waiting to hear the buzzing fly by you. It gets me every time. The adrenaline rush from a big group of green heads coming in and watching the dogs work is priceless.

And on good days, your limited out by 7:30-8:00 a.m. and the beer drinking commences
        ditto.

there is nothing like having a big group of birds circling your spread a couple of times and you finally get them in and somebody yells "CUTTEM" and the really fun part starts.

Sometimes though when you are sitting out there and the birds are not flying and your cold, wet, sitting in mud, and the rain is running down you head and straight into your waders you can really find yourself questioning what the heck you are doing in this field instead of in a warm bed with the little woman. But its totally worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb03 View Post

Ok this sounds awesome!

Thanks for the reply

Comment

Try it one time. You will be hooked!!

Comment

Originally posted by morris_mat View Post
              ditto.

there is nothing like having a big group of birds circling your spread a couple of times and you finally get them in and somebody yells "CUTTEM" and the really fun part starts.

Sometimes though when you are sitting out there and the birds are not flying and your cold, wet, sitting in mud, and the rain is running down you head and straight into your waders you can really find yourself questioning what the heck you are doing in this field instead of in a warm bed with the little woman. But its totally worth it.
              What does Cuttem mean or come from? I mean I know what you do when this is yelled.

Just curious

Comment

I got into duck hunting because I found more public access then deer hunting. Unlike sitting in a deer blind by yourself typically you'll go with a few friends, so its a somewhat of a social event like dove hunting.

As for the duck meat, I have to say I'm a snob. I like dabblers over divers. A BIG BIG difference in taste if you ask me.

Probably because divers tend to eat more crustations and fish, while the dabblers eat more grass and grain.

My kids love teal, but don't know it. We'll use teal breast in our jambalaya over chicken in our recipe, but we've never told the kiddos.

Now, for people who just got into duck hunting this year, I feel for them. I will have this year written down as the worse season ever. Most of the places I hunt didn't have a single bird during the first half of the season, and only in the 2nd week of January did I start seeing a few birds. Its still pretty thin.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                  I got into duck hunting because I found more public access then deer hunting. Unlike sitting in a deer blind by yourself typically you'll go with a few friends, so its a somewhat of a social event like dove hunting.

As for the duck meat, I have to say I'm a snob. I like dabblers over divers. A BIG BIG difference in taste if you ask me.

Probably because divers tend to eat more crustations and fish, while the dabblers eat more grass and grain.

My kids love teal, but don't know it. We'll use teal breast in our jambalaya over chicken in our recipe, but we've never told the kiddos.

Now, for people who just got into duck hunting this year, I feel for them. I will have this year written down as the worse season ever. Most of the places I hunt didn't have a single bird during the first half of the season, and only in the 2nd week of January did I start seeing a few birds. Its still pretty thin.

Good stuff, thanks!

Comment

Simple... You get hand with friends and socialize rather than being a ninja in a tree all by yourself. It's also an extra few weeks to hunt after bow season.

Comment

I used to duck hunt a lot, not so much anymore. I see it more as a young mans sport now days, but seriously, just not that mad at them anymore.

When it comes to table fare, I prefer to only shoot the one I like to eat. A lot depends on what they are eating, but here along the coast, this can be limited.

I personally like whistlers, teals, pintail, wigeon, and mottleds. I will usually pass on all the rest. If I am at a place that have them, mallards and wood ducks will make this lis as well. This is just my personal opinion after 25+ years of shooting ducks.

Comment

For me, i like being able to cut up with some good company, be able to be rowdy and still have a great hunt and nothing is greater than watching your hard work fool the birds. The rush people get when a big buck walks out in the woods is the same rush i get when i see birds cupping, the only difference is in duck hunting that rush happens multiple times per hunt.

Just remember, Some days you absolutely whack em and some days you come home soaked to the bone, wore out and want to sell all your gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex1986 View Post
                          Try it one time. You will be hooked!!
                          Unless the weather conditions are horrible and the ducks aren't flying. Then you'll ask yourself "what the heck was I thinking?"

It can be a rush, just like any other hunting. It's awesome when it's awesome and it sucks when it sucks!!!

Comment

The smell of the marsh, gun powder, and wet dogs. My favorite part is watching ducks work a spread and then decoy. It is kind of like seeing a pointer lock up on a covey and getting that first covey rise. Once you get a big group of good ducks to decoy, you will never be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              The smell of the marsh, gun powder, and wet dogs.......
                              the climbing thru the mud and salt grass while sweat rolls down your butt crack, and the numbing of your lips because you have so much OFF on trying to battle the 1,000,000's of mosquitos who are wanting to eat you alive....

and then not firing a shot because you didn't see a duck all morning and knowing you have to pack all your crap up and make the voyage out.

BUT LETS DO IT AGAIN TOMORROW BECAUSE THEY MAY BE FLYING!!

Comment

Working...
                              X