• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PB Blaster or a torch.

Comment

Pb blaster its magic

Comment

I've seen my dad loosen rusted bolts with coke a cola, put some on let it set and they have turned right out. If you don't have the other stuff mentioned above , but have some soda, you might give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
          Acetone mixed with transmission fluid will also work
          This one^^

Comment

I've had good luck with running water. Let the water run on it while trying to work it free

Comment

Originally posted by Mconner View Post
              Then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to drill and tap that sleeve insert grease fitting and grease away
              I'm intrigued. The squeaking of all my gates has always driven me nuts. Tell me more about how to do this.

Comment

Zep 45

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                  Kroil---gunsmiths use it to free frozen parts--
                  X2 it absolutely wonderful. Just apply to the top of the hinge for a few days ,then open and close it and done....oil up after it breaks loose. Or.....heat it with a torch and give it a few whops with a small sledge.

Comment

Crc screwloose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                      I'm intrigued. The squeaking of all my gates has always driven me nuts. Tell me more about how to do this.
                      Pretty easy really, first you would find the correct drill bit size for the threads on grease fitting being used, drill through that outer sleeve just to inner gate post then match the threads on grease fitting to a tap to use and tap that sucker (use plenty of cutting oil or you could snap the tap) then you would insert grease fitting and NO MORE SQUEAKY GATES!!! we have done all our pens this way works great good luck!

Comment

Take your time, and you can drill the outer sleeve, then I would weld on a nut for the depth(already tapped to accept the zerk) and then you're ready to grease your gate hinges.

These will work with a ¼ x28 nut. Just weld that over the hole you drill, and add grease at your leisure. It won't be a perfect fit, but good enough to add some grease for keeping a gate from squeaking.

Just a few seconds with a torch should loosen those hinges. A little tapping with a hammer will expedite things.

Several of the penetrants listed above are also very effective (I'm fond of PB Blaster)

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                          Take your time, and you can drill the outer sleeve, then I would weld on a nut for the depth(already tapped to accept the zerk) and then you're ready to grease your gate hinges.

These will work with a ¼ x28 nut. Just weld that over the hole you drill, and add grease at your leisure. It won't be a perfect fit, but good enough to add some grease for keeping a gate from squeaking.

Just a few seconds with a torch should loosen those hinges. A little tapping with a hammer will expedite things.

Several of the penetrants listed above are also very effective (I'm fond of PB Blaster)

All of this is good info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                            I've had good luck with running water. Let the water run on it while trying to work it free
                            Looking at the thread title I was going to suggest parking it in water but when I found out it was a hinge then that’s out of the question.

Whatever you do you’re gonna need heat. Then some sort of heavy oil that will penetrate and stay lubed. Grease zerk is a wise recommendation

Comment

I’d put penetrating oil and let it soak. Then I’d put a hydraulic jack under the vertical pipe with the hinge and slowly try and break the rust. Last resort would be a torch - I’m always hesitant to put very much heat in fear of warping something. But then again, the jack could bend something too.

Comment

It's a lot easier to drill and tap for the zerk fitting before the gate is installed. But you can still do it. I'd use a bottoming tap. You won't get much thread engagement with a tapered tap.
                                I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything drilling and tapping through both pipes. Just as long as the zerk fitting threads don't go past the first pipe.

Comment

Working...
                                X