Kids and access to firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids and access to firearms

Something I’ve been thinking about for a while now and I didn’t want to hi jack the Florida thread. I know this may be sensitive info you don’t want on the internet, so I’ll just ask for opinions, not what you actually do in your house hold. What do you think about anyone under 18 having free access to a firearm? I grew up in the 80’s in a small Texas town, where I still live. Every pickup in our family had a rifle in the back window, which would be there if that truck was used to pick me up from school. Every family members house had a gun rack on the wall or guns where leaned up behind a door. My dad didn’t like me running loose with a rifle because he was afraid I would accidentally shoot a cow, but I could take a shotgun anywhere I wanted. I even took my red rider B.B. gun on the bus in first grade because I spent the weekend shooting at a friends house. My teacher kept it till after class. I took an 870 to school in high school because I disassembled it and couldn’t put it back together so one the coaches reassembled it on his off period and gave it back to me to take home. All this being said I have a 2 year old son and another on the way. I think all of my guns and ammo is going to be locked down just because things have changed. My kids are going to grow up in the same area I did and go to same school I did, but the world is definitely different. The things kids are exposed to now I couldn’t have imagined. They get instant information on there phones, where we had 4 channels and a party line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that different times call for different measures. Growing up, my dad's guns (and mine since I got my first one at age 12) were in an unlocked hall closet with the ammo on a shelf. I guess I probably got them out from time to time to show friends but checking to make sure they were unloaded was second nature due to my dad's training me. Even though both my boys were proficient with guns and were drilled on safety, I bought a safe when the oldest was old enough to walk. Partially to deter thieves, partially to ensure no accident could happen at home. Back in the 70's high schools still had rifle teams - it was common to see a guy carrying his .22 through the halls to be locked up in the coach's office until the afternoon practice. It never crossed anyone's mind that might be a problem. We can talk about "the good old days" all we want but we can't put our heads in the sand - times have changed. There is a societal/cultural rot and there are no easy answers...

Comment

I grew up much like you, out in the country. My boys are 14 and 11 and both have been handling firearms since they were 3 years old. Both have their own rifles, shotguns, etc..... heck, my youngest got an AR for his 10th birthday. With all of that said, all firearms are locked up in my house and they do not have access without me. I live in a neighborhood and don't know when they will have friends over or what those friends familiarity with firearms might be. There is just no sense leaving firearms unsecured when kids or strangers could access them.

Comment

I have let my kids handle my guns since they were born. I have also drivin it into their heads that they better not touch one with out me or momma present. They are 10 and 9 now, i have a 410 and a 22 leaning in my closet a 357 in my drawer and the rest are in my conex which they get into all the time. They never touch them. My son takes the Gamo hunting birds and squirrels in the back of our place all the time but i will not let him take the 22 or the 410 by himself even though i did when i was his age.

Comment

We keep them in a unused bathroom closet with a knob lock. Away from the younger kids. Now days if were found with a knife in our trucks we will get suspended from school but like yall said times changed. Ive beem drilled by gun saftey and only allowed to unlock the closet with permission and even under more supervision if im trying to take a gun to a friends property or something like that. But on the other hand ive been to peoples house that have a ar-15 in the 13 year olds closet and a .357 in his dresser. I think that is ridiculous and if a intruder were to come inside at a late time of night i think that would make a situation bad fast with multiple people in a house unknowingly where everyone could be at that time

Comment

People more desire the things they do not or can not have.

Why hide and lock up the guns and ammo instead of teaching your children how to be responsible with them? You were allowed them but I'm pretty sure you were taught how to handle them properly, and the destructive power they contain. Why deny your children the same opportunity?

Kids haven't changed, what they are taught in terms of responsibility has.

Comment

It's the same world as it has always been, you just learn about quicker than before or being told more. There has always been bad things happening to good people. On the subject of guns, I personally think there should be a mandatory gun safety class for everyone. If you leave this to the parents not all will teach the kids the correct way.

Comment

Son (15) doesnt have access to the safe but when we're at the deer camp hes got free access to anything he wants. Im sure like most TBH members kids he was raised around them. He has zero curiosity and knows all hes got to do is ask.

Hes currently in san antonio at a school sanctioned shooting event.

Comment

Lived by Massad Ayoob's philosophy's (writer and self defense instructor). Get rid of the curiosity. After returning home from the range and cleaning guns, let the kids "play" with them, ask questions, handle. Each time showing them how to check to see if loaded first (started this at 2-3 years old). Started taking them to the range at 5-6 years old. First trip to range- 1 gallon milk jugs full of water and food coloring- 45 HP at 10 yards- this is how dangerous these can be!! Then the 22, target shooting and cans (more fun, instant gratification). Always had loaded guns in the house, never had an issue of any kind. ALWAYS made sure guns put away if friends of the kids were coming over.

Now, both my kids were well adjusted, responsible kids. If behavior problems I'm sure things would have been different. Times have changed, not sure if I'd do it the same nowadays or not.

My son spent almost a decade in Army Special Forces, daughter is a PD dispatcher.

Comment

Much like Eastwood said we were not tuned into all of these events that the kids of today are due to the media and social media. If something like this happened back in the day I would not have known about it till someone told me. I was not one to be sitting around watching the evening news on one of the 3 channels we had. I was out shooting my BB gun or riding my bike until the street lights came on. Now with instance media social or otherwise kids of all ages are hearing about what is going on. Not much different that the stupid pod challenge now kids are seeing what is going on, and the recognition that goes with it, and it seems to be a challenge to them. As the kid in Florida posted he wanted to be a professional school shooter. I don't know the answer. It is not gun control as we have always had guns. I just know it is a scary thing for all and I can relate as my wife works at a school.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Son (15) doesnt have access to the safe but when we're at the deer camp hes got free access to anything he wants. Im sure like most TBH members kids he was raised around them. He has zero curiosity and knows all hes got to do is ask.

Hes currently in san antonio at a school sanctioned shooting event.
                      Same way in our house

Comment

I was raised much like you, I could use pellet rifles and shotguns in the country all I wanted, but dad would only let me shoot .22's in a controlled environment with a backstop. When my girls were young I had guns stored in closets, behind doors, and anywhere else I could get them out of sight. Only one loaded firearm near the bed. After they left the house I finally could afford a gun safe. They were involved and educated with firearms as they grew older. My oldest grandson was raised I'm my house, so he has been raised around guns. Hammered with safety his whole life. Has never had uncontrolled access. Gave him the short stocked red rider at 4, no bb's. We live in the city and I didn't want bb's leaving the yard. Gave him bb's when he seemed responsible, and later a pellet rifle. He is 12 now, and still doesn't have the combination to the safe. I don't feel he would be an issue, but don't want him to bring any friends that I cant control. His little brother is 3, and has a lot of maturing to do. That being said, my 3 oldest grandkids have AR15's I have given them (all secured by me or their parents). I have a lower for the youngest, and if I can't build him one he can have mine. they all have guns I have given them. because of my health issues I have been passing them out at birthdays. I am in the process of inventorying and denoting which ones each get, and giving them away now, in case my cancer comes back.

I think firearms need to be locked so children cant access, even if it is a tin cabinet. Also your guns will most likely still be there after a burglary. You cannot tell what kids will do when no one is around, they will do things with their friends they wouldn't think about doing by themselves or with grownups around (peer pressure). We all believe our children are not capable of doing one of these shootings like the school, and 99.99999% will not.

Comment

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker. I brought some snack sticks to him that my wife and I made with some axis meat. He took some home to see if his wife would eat one. Co-worker (also LE) knows my son carries pellet around in the back yard, is a member of a FFA shooting team, hunts etc.

Apparently it came up at one of his family gatherings about how our 15 year old son shoots and has access to guns when asked etc. The eldest of the family asked my co-worker if they, as a family, needed to pray for us?

There was a million ways I could have responded to that but I just chuckled and went about my day

Comment

My dad was a DPS officer, so my brother and I grew up around guns and firearms all our life. As others have stated, he taught us early the power of those guns, and the safety we needed to take with them. He had, and still has his rifles in the old fashioned gun cabinet. We never touched them unless we had permission. One out of fear, two out of we knew we werent supposed to because of the seriousness. But also, like most of yall have stated, its a dang different world out there now.

Comment

I always had access to my Dad's guns. He taught us safety, consequence and we knew how serious and important it was to follow the rules of gun safety. I believe people who don't grow up around firearms and hunting are more likely to misuse them simply due to not fully understanding the consequences of misusing them. Hunters know first hand the consequences, even if it is just an animal.

Comment

Working...
                              X