No announcement yet.

Management/Hog help *pic heavy*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My one suggestion, if you want to attract/keep deer, is to have feeder pens. It's best to have pen and stand in place before you start feeding. If the hogs aren't used to feeding there they are a lot less likely to try to break in.

Comment

How big of a pen would you say?

Comment

sory kole for being som pushy lol. im new to all this and well i just dont know how to get started . have no friends that hunt .

Comment

Originally posted by huntingaddict View Post
          sory kole for being som pushy lol. im new to all this and well i just dont know how to get started . have no friends that hunt .
          That ship done sailed cowboy

Comment

Baitting hogs in with The posthole digger is one of the best stand set ups you can have once they start hitting It. Also if you are going to try and bowhunt the bigger hog you will have to hunt him at night to even get a chance at him i would bet. Once you start getting pictures of him it will help more on narrowing down the Time but, My best bet is to get a friend and pair up. Get you a good rechangeable spot light with a red lens and it does not have to be a big one. Get you a good blue light set up on your sight pens with a high and low setting on the light power and set you up a good double stand set up for you and a friend and get after them. After you get used to huntting them at night it does not get any easyer. They will not spook on the red light and it is so much easyer to shoot them at night because they calm down so much more. Also Dark nights are the best. Just sit back and listen. You will know one is there when you hear them eatting. Once you turn on the light leave it on. On and off will spook them more than just leaving it on once you have them lite up they will just continue to feed like normal. Good luck

Comment

Bro if you're not seeing the hogs at all they're either not there OR in the thick stuff. Certain times of year they have plenty of food in the thickets and dont have to come out at all. If they're in the thick stuff obviously you have to go in there after em. Stalk slow and listen a lot! If there's a big spot ("100acres") that they're rooting set a cam up on a t-post in the field where they're rooting and find out what time they're doing it. Then get the wind right and stick em!
              Last edited by Cuz; 02-10-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

if you were closer I would let you use my hog traps that are sitting dormant right now.

we did a pretty good job on my wifes grandfathers ranch. we thinned em down pretty darn good.

and several nights with 3 of us out having some beers with 12 gauges with buckshot probably helped to.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  If you have that much rooting...then you have lots of hogs...more than a dozen. I have 40-50 hogs or more under my feeders at one time and don't have the rooting that u do.

Hogs are never gonna be caught during daylight hours in the wide open pastures. Its either gonna be ambush them at night or make it thicker for them. Just like deer they prefer thicker cover during daylight.
                  I'm sorry but this is just simply not true. Just yesterday I counted a herd of 19 hogs at 4:15 pm right out in the middle of a wide open field rooting. They are more inclined to be in the open during the night but it's not uncommon to see them rooting in the daytime...

Comment

All great info guys. I disagree though that they have left. There's new rooting almost every morning and there isn't new stuff it's there a couple days later.

The post hole with 2 stands is what I'm shooting for. My bow is set up with a green stabilizer light with pressure switch which illuminates up to about 100yards. It's awesome. I actually had something walk up on me at night with it on and it didn't spook it. But than again they were in heavy brush and never came out. I'm really starting to think this hog is smarter than me lol

Comment

A few things to think about and they may or may not apply to your place. First, they are going to travel creeks and creekbeds. Even when dry they, and deer, will use them as a travel corridor. Not necessarily down in the bottom of the creekbed either. They will travel from cover to feed along the edges or in the brush growing along them as well as in the bottom.

Second, hogs are somewhat migratory. Sometimes they move in, root up a big area over the course of a few nights and then move on. I have hunted a number of places that could have a ton or could have none. They move thru as food sources and/or water become available or run out. The only rooting that really matters is the stuff that was just done. If it was rooted up a couple weeks ago that is old news and they may not even be anywhere around there now. It is not unusual to have hogs totally leave your property for periods of time and then when the food and/or water is right they come back in force. They are not necessarily going to always be there.

Third, they don't take much pressure to go noctournal. If there are people out there regularly and the hogs get shot at anytime they are seen it only takes shooting at them with a rifle a few times and they will go noctournal for a long time.

IMO your best bet is to identify the thickest areas where you think they might be bedding, then locate where you think they are feeding. Either hunt the places they are feeding or the travel corridors they use.

Get more cameras out there. Game cams have been absolutely invaluable to me when it comes to patterning hogs. Feeders are great but if they have plenty of other food available they may not even come to them. Or if you have alot of deer the deer will beat them to the corn, clean it up and there is no reason for them to come to the feeders. Because of that either the post hole method, hog pipes or hog barrels might be a good option to get them coming to a stand location. Add in some hog lights and hunt them at night if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                        A few things to think about and they may or may not apply to your place. First, they are going to travel creeks and creekbeds. Even when dry they, and deer, will use them as a travel corridor. Not necessarily down in the bottom of the creekbed either. They will travel from cover to feed along the edges or in the brush growing along them as well as in the bottom.

Second, hogs are somewhat migratory. Sometimes they move in, root up a big area over the course of a few nights and then move on. I have hunted a number of places that could have a ton or could have none. They move thru as food sources and/or water become available or run out. The only rooting that really matters is the stuff that was just done. If it was rooted up a couple weeks ago that is old news and they may not even be anywhere around there now. It is not unusual to have hogs totally leave your property for periods of time and then when the food and/or water is right they come back in force. They are not necessarily going to always be there.

Third, they don't take much pressure to go noctournal. If there are people out there regularly and the hogs get shot at anytime they are seen it only takes shooting at them with a rifle a few times and they will go noctournal for a long time.

IMO your best bet is to identify the thickest areas where you think they might be bedding, then locate where you think they are feeding. Either hunt the places they are feeding or the travel corridors they use.

Get more cameras out there. Game cams have been absolutely invaluable to me when it comes to patterning hogs. Feeders are great but if they have plenty of other food available they may not even come to them. Or if you have alot of deer the deer will beat them to the corn, clean it up and there is no reason for them to come to the feeders. Because of that either the post hole method, hog pipes or hog barrels might be a good option to get them coming to a stand location. Add in some hog lights and hunt them at night if needed.
                        Smart man! Lotta good useful info here!

Comment

Hogs haven't been coming to corn anywhere. Go to tacticalhogcontrol.com. Those guys might have the answer you're lookin for.

Comment

Just put some salt on their tail.......... Thats how I catch'em!

Comment

Working...
                            X