first point bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first point bowhunting

I am a college student on a budget but I want/need a bowhunting get away during this upcoming fall semester. I looked at First Point and it looks awesome. Anyone have any info on it or maybe have been there and can inform me on anything (good or bad) I should know before booking a hunt.

You can probably search the threads and find a lot of info on First Point.

I will try to paraphrase most of the posts.

There are lots of deer there with huge numbers of does and fawns. There are plenty of trophy bucks to been seen but they are very wary from the many hunters.

Hunt hard, stay hidden, play the wind and do some scouting and you may get a shot at a good deer. If not a trophy at least a quality mature buck.

I have hunted there twice and both times have been within 10 yards of their legal bucks which is 3.5 years old. I took neither shot but I can kick myself for not taking this one this past season. On a day lease, not sure why I was waiting for something bigger. I must not have been in my right mind at the time.

This one was a cull with some messed up horns. No brow tines and about a 10 inch wide rack. He was an old codger but I can see why no one put him down.

First Point has two mobile homes rigged out with bunk beds. You will get a bathroom to take a hot shower and a toilet. Each has a kitchen with stove and microwave. That is about it with nothing fancy and the bare essentials but with a roof over your head. Bring bed clothes or a sleeping bag for the bunk beds.

Nancy is about as nice of a person as you will meet. Mike is very helpful about hunting and will answer any questions that you ask him. I enjoyed talking to him and getting his insight into hunting. If you are looking for the life of the party or a talkative host that will keep everyone entertained, that isn't going to be him. I know that turns some people off that have been there because he is not a back slapping, beer drinker of a host. He runs a business the way he thinks it works and will help you anyway that he can. For anything else you will have to look elsewhere.

If you go, try to make it at least a three day hunt (which covers four calender days). You go in at Noon and come out at 11:00AM the last day of the hunt. A two day hunt for example might go in on a Monday and leave on Wednesday after the morning hunt. A three day hunt is good and a four day is better to get to scout and look the place over in your pasture. It is $150 per day.

Comment

I agree with tvc184 and I highly recommend First Point it is a blast to hunt IMO

Comment

just sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
        X