Working on my first knife.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on my first knife.

Started working on this knife today and I think I have the basic shape down and now I'm wondering how to put the edge on it? What's the best tool to use and how wide and how far back should the bevel be?
    Attached Files

Ignore the whole in the handle. It will either cover up with the handle material, or I'll fill it in and grind it smooth first.

I decided on this blade shape for a nice skinning knife that's sturdy, but not too big.

I'm open for all advice if anyone is willing to share.

Comment

The bevels can be put on with files and sandpaper that's how I did my first and if you keep making knives after that you will be hooked, The easy answer is to buy some type of belt sander that's what most knives are made with

Comment

Here this thread has ruined many bank accounts it's what got me started lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
          http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...aking+tutorial
          Thanks for this. It's been really helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
            http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...aking+tutorial
            That was an excellent thread. It kept me up kind of late last night, though. I read the whole thing.

Comment

Quick update. I have a bevel started and it's polishing up really well. I took a piece of mesquite that I brought back from a S. TX ranch I hunt and decided to try it for the handle. I glued it to the handle with a two part epoxy, clamped it together and let it sit for 24 hours. The red and yellow contrast I think looks really cool.

During the handle thinning and sanding process I turned up a couple of insects that had burrow in and created holes. I will probably drill the top one all the way through and put a pin in there for extra support and to uzilize the hole as I finish the handle.

Still undecided on how I want the blade to be, but I'm thinking of etching the area above the bevel to create some nice contrast there. The blade is too thick as well, so it will need to be ground down some during the process.

She won't win any beauty contests, but she will cut!
              As it sits now.....
              Attached Files

Comment

Not bad, I kind of like the shape. But if I can give a few pointers for future knives.

Don't put the handles on until all grinding is complete (except for the final edge). The grinding will heat up the metal and this will cause the epoxy to soften and release. Get the bevels ground to the point that you want it, drill holes for the handles, heat treat the blade, sand off the scale, polish as much as you intend to do, then install the handles, sand to shape, grind final cutting edge.

Hope that helps. But, be careful. It's addictive.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                  Not bad, I kind of like the shape. But if I can give a few pointers for future knives.

Don't put the handles on until all grinding is complete (except for the final edge). The grinding will heat up the metal and this will cause the epoxy to soften and release. Get the bevels ground to the point that you want it, drill holes for the handles, heat treat the blade, sand off the scale, polish as much as you intend to do, then install the handles, sand to shape, grind final cutting edge.

Hope that helps. But, be careful. It's addictive.
                  Appreciate the feedback. Thank you and I will be sure and follow that process on the next one for sure.

I'm very much a results driven kind of person and I knew going into this one that it was going to push my patience to the limit. Wrestling with the desire to get close to the finished product is the biggest challenge for me. Not a penny invested in this one, so I'm ok with it being a trial and error piece.
                  Last edited by TimH; 02-17-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                    Appreciate the feedback. Thank you and I will be sure and follow that process on the next one for sure.

I'm very much a results driven kind of person and I knew going into this one that it was going to push my patience to the limit. Wrestling with the desire to get close to the finished product is the biggest challenge for me. Not a penny invested in this one, so I'm ok with it being a trial and error piece.
                    I know what you mean. I did the same on my first, got impatient and missed a few steps and knew it when I was done. I still have to fight myself to slow down and not miss anything. Still happens though.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                      I know what you mean. I did the same on my first, got impatient and missed a few steps and knew it when I was done. I still have to fight myself to slow down and not miss anything. Still happens though.
                      It is addictive though as you mentioned.

The blade on this one was supposed to be more suitable for skinning, so that's where the shape idea came from.

Comment

Working...
                      X