SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
    Here in East Texas I prefer 40-55 degrees. Even though the 30's do feel better.
    At this point anything sub 60 will work for me. Now I'm just sitting in class waiting for the opener

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Chief -- There is a possibility that the deer wasn't blowing at you. It could have been a coyote or a hog that it was blowing at. Maybe a critter you never saw.

It is possible the wind swirled as mentioned above.

For what its worth, I've had mixed results "smoking" my clothes. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
        Chief -- There is a possibility that the deer wasn't blowing at you. It could have been a coyote or a hog that it was blowing at. Maybe a critter you never saw.

It is possible the wind swirled as mentioned above.

For what its worth, I've had mixed results "smoking" my clothes. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
        There are a ton of coyote tracks in the area. Surprisingly almost no signs of hogs for about a half mile in every direction (that I've seen). So that could have been it. And I'll try smoking my clothes, thanks for the advice and hope all goes well with your recovery.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Smoke does two things. One of them it does really well. First, it kills bacteria odor. I smoke my clothes and my skin if given the time/opprotunity. Second, it is a cover scent, but like any cover scent, your mileage varies. From what I can tell, it does a decent job of holding back odor of sweat.... as I tend not to notice BO on my clothes after a long stretch of hunting the same attire and only smoking them.

But no matter what, you still have to play the wind. I like the word play here, because it is a game and there is no steadfast right answer. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It took me a handful of sits once the finally figure out that it didnt matter which way the predominant wind was for a certain spot... until 10am, it was going to be out of the south west and it was due to a geographical terrain reason.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I wondered as far back as I wanted to go today, made five steps back and this guy was coiled up exactly where I just walked through. I was really surprised he didn't go bat**** crazy when I stepped on or over him. Any ideas what kind it is? Kind of hard to see the head, he's looking right at me.
            Attached Files

Comment

That's a black hog nose, Jimmy. Harmless

Comment

It would of been a dead one if I would of seen it. All snakes are deadly !!

Comment

I think Lee's right looks like a hog nose.

Comment

Everybody needs to be on the look out for snakes this time of year. Their trying to get their fill before they have to semi hibernate for our semi cold weather we have.

Comment

I'm with Hotrod, looked like a killer to me! 2nd snake I ran into, first one felt me coming and high tailed it up a tree, was actually really cool to see, long black snake, about 4-5' long and skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjams4110 View Post
                        I'm with Hotrod, looked like a killer to me! 2nd snake I ran into, first one felt me coming and high tailed it up a tree, was actually really cool to see, long black snake, about 4-5' long and skinny.
                        That was probably a coachwhip.

The one pictured looks enough like a cottonmouth to get sent back to hell where it belongs.

Comment

Probably right on the coachwhip John. And at first glance it does look like a cottonmouth. But look closely and you'll see that yellow under its mouth and a long skinny tail instead of a short stubby one. And a cottonmouth would be sitting there with his mouth open showing that white mouth. Definitely hognose.

Comment

You guys are good I would of thought moccasin, thx for the lesson, those black snakes that go up trees are cool to see they're quick and pretty loud too, saw one out there in July take off and race up a tree, sprawled out about 12 ft up there.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                              Probably right on the coachwhip John. And at first glance it does look like a cottonmouth. But look closely and you'll see that yellow under its mouth and a long skinny tail instead of a short stubby one. And a cottonmouth would be sitting there with his mouth open showing that white mouth. Definitely hognose.
                              I agree with you assessment of the hognose, but still that snake wouldn't have been alive long enough for me to have noticed all of that. I don't mind snakes per se (I certainly don't consider myself afraid of them), but there's something about cottonmouths I just abhor. They are just the vilest of the vile.

So is anyone else really, really ready for Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                                I agree with you assessment of the hognose, but still that snake wouldn't have been alive long enough for me to have noticed all of that. I don't mind snakes per se (I certainly don't consider myself afraid of them), but there's something about cottonmouths I just abhor. They are just the vilest of the vile.

So is anyone else really, really ready for Saturday?
                                John, I'm really, really ready for Saturday!

Comment

Working...
                                X