chinese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chinese

don't forget that on this day back in 1950 the US Marines, a small force of 15 thousand were surrounded and cut off by 120.000 Chinese in the battle of the Chosen reservoir. 75 to 80 thousand of the red army did not make it back home. the temps at night were down to -40 neither side were prepared for this type of weather.
    the Chinese would rush 1000 men to a platoon of 40. knowing that most or all would be killed before all the rounds were spent on them but that position over run. it was brutal.
    36,000 US service members dead in just 3 years of fighting. about 1 million other deaths related to the war. Chinese, N. Korean, S. Korean, the civilians. just unreal that we forget.

I once had a client who I knew was a former Marine but knew nothing of his service. One day he came into the office wearing a hat that said the “Chosin Few”. Being a military history geek I got excited and started peppering him with questions about his experience there. He tried, God bless him, to tell me the story but a few sentences in he said “sorry but I still can’t talk about it” I felt really bad for asking

Comment

Looks like I have some reading to do.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
        Looks like I have some reading to do.

Sierracharlie out…
        I would suggest “On Desperate Ground” by Hampton Sides

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          Outstanding book. Also “Breakout” by Martin Russ, “Colder Than Hell” by Joseph Owen and “Last Stand Of Fox Company” by Bob Drury.

Comment

Thanks guys

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

They never retreated. Just attacked in a different direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I grew up in the time frame of guys that were in high school: grandfathers was in WW2 fathers, Korea, uncles vet nam.
                the Korean conflict was like none seen in many years. from open field battles. the next day house to house. to a withdraw then a 200 mile attach and advance. 1000 year old Asian tactics that at times worked. then the next day failed due to modern aircraft. a top general that would not take orders from the president. very bad intel on both sides.
                its been forgot for a simple reason. nothing changed.

Comment

Proud of the to be American! Stories like this make me proud of our veterns

Comment

I had a good friend that was a vet of the Korean War. He was artillery. He told me that they couldn’t anchor the artillery because the ground was frozen, so every time they shot a shell the gun would bounce around and they would have to re-aim it. Lots of frostbite in that war.

Comment

Thanks for the history reminder Bryan. Ive got some books to read.

Semper Fidelis.

Comment

My father was a Korean War vet. He also suffered frostbite on his feet.

His feet always bothered him right up to his passing back in ‘07.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                          Thanks for that. Just ordered it on Amazon. I've read a few of his others and enjoyed them

Comment

chinese

My dad never talked much about his war experiences (WWII and Korea) But he told me a story about being in his sleeping bag sleeping and the chinese coming over the hill blowing bugles. He couldn’t get out of his bag so his buddy basically stabbed his bag with a knife and cut him out and they bugged out. Not sure where he was at but apparently there was a LOT of Chinese

Comment

Incredible piece of history. Thanks for sharing it. We owe so much to our veterans.

Comment

Working...
                              X