Best and Worst Public Land/Draw Hunts for Texas-Opinions Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best and Worst Public Land/Draw Hunts for Texas-Opinions Wanted

This year I successfully pulled spots for draw hunts at The HAG and Trinity River NWR; hunts I will go on in Dec and January. I've hunted many public land/draw hunts in the past, with every hunt being a little different. Putting in time, research, and boot leather has always increased my odds of success. Some of the best hunts I've been on had people leaving after the first day because they felt the hunt was either too hard or they didn't see any animals, so opinions can always vary on quality of hunting locations.

I'm interested to see opinions on what some of the best and worst spots in the state are to try to hunt either by draw or using your AHP. I use the term "worst" loosely, because any day in the woods can be a great day.

Here are some of the places I've hunted, but will hold my opinions as I want to see what others respond:

Garner State Park
    Lake Georgetown
    Pedernales Falls SP
    Devil's River SP
    South Llano River SP
    Walter Buck
    Granger Lake

I’ve never won a drawn hunt, but follow the threads, view the statistics, and hear stories about the hunts. I’ve been to both of these areas and am pretty familiar with them.

Best: Richland Creek has to be one of the best. Every time I’ve been out there pig hunting I’ve seen multiple good deer. No huge bucks, but for a meat hunt it would be solid.

Worst: Old Sabine Bottom WMA. The biologist has mentioned about 3 deer being taken off the place yearly, and that’s being done by locals rather than draw winners. I’ve seen 1-2 deer total in many outings out here. If you’re okay with taking pigs on a deer hunt, then this draw wouldn’t be so bad.

Comment

i live 25 min from Granger. It's like having @ 48$ 10k acre lease for catfish crappie and pigs!

Comment

Ditto on Old Sabine Bottom.. miserable place to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
          i live 25 min from Granger. It's like having @ 48$ 10k acre lease for catfish crappie and pigs!
          There ain't no crappie at Granger Lake!!

Comment

I wish I had more to report... I have been to Davy Crockett NF and Caddo National Grasslands... Saw deer at both, but they seemed to be hard to come by. I don't have much to reference as I'm relatively new.

Comment

Been hunting Georgetown for awile. Its fun but tough. Have had bike riders people on horseback, dogs come in and ruin hunt but I love it due to 40 minutes from home.

Granger I got in once and was fun but also tough.

Scary thing one evening I heard a rifle shot go by me but not more that 20 yards from my head. Scared the crap out of me.

Comment

I’ve hunted the DCNF the last few years and deer are fairly easy to find, shooters not so much. Hunted fort boggy a few years ago and nobody shot a buck with the exception of one yearling spike. I think 90% of the harvest was does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post
                  There ain't no crappie at Granger Lake!!
                  Hahahahaha only 9 inchers!!!!!

Comment

I've hunted...

Garner
                    Justin hurst
                    Nannie stringfellow
                    Jd murphee
                    Devils sinkhole
                    Chaparral

And james daughtry in the spring

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been on alot of them.
                      Not saying it's the worst place to hunt, but for that hunt, it was for me. Atlanta SP. Nobody killed anything. But the year before, my brother killed 3.
                      All the rest were great. RC, Kerr WMA, and Fort Boggy SP are some of my favorites. This year, I get to try the Chap out!!!

Comment

Balcones Canyonlands. Staff is not interested in having you harvest any animals. Units vary from no life to so thick a Sasquatch wouldn’t go in there.

Comment

This is why I hunt highway medians and other nefarious properties across the United States.

Comment

I’ve hunted James Daughtry, Davis Mountains, Choke Canyon North Shore
                            Seminole Canyon and Elephant Mountain.

Of those, the only one I continue to put in for is Daughtry.
                            Didn’t see a single deer at Choke NS.

Comment

I doubt many will chime in on the good ones. Drawing is hard enough without drawing more attention to them.

I have only drawn Garner SP. I won’t put in again. But I did kill a little axis buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X