223 Ammo Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

223 Ammo Recommendations

I just picked up a Howa 1500 a few months ago on a trade. Wanting to see what ammo is recommended for an all around round for hogs, deer and predators.
    I picked up a box of Winchester 55 grain and hornady Varmint in 55 grain and they both shoot great. thinking about 60-64 grain for a little more knock down power, but do not know if the 1:12 twist will shoot them.

62 gr. ranger do pretty well for a friend of mine.
    my 223 won't shoot anything but the really heavy stuff 77gr.

Comment

55gr pills are plenty for most anything in TEXAS

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
        55gr pills are plenty for most anything in TEXAS
        Thanks.
        Just curious if a soft point or Hollow-point would be the best?

Comment

Soft point IMHO I wouldn’t mess with a hollow point unless shooting strictly predators and not wanting to salvage hide.

Comment

Mine shoots the Hornady 55s pretty good. My son has killed a few deer with it with no issues.

Comment

I've killed a butt load of axis with the 64 gr Winchester PowerPoint ammo out of my AR.

My AR loves the 75 Gr. Speer Gold Dot, but it's a 1:9 twist. When I run out of that ammo I've got a load for the 62. gr. Barnes X bullet that shoots very well.

My CZ 527 in .223 has a 1:12 twist like yours. It doesn't like ANYTHING over 55 grains. My favorite load for the CZ is the 50 gr. Nosler BT. I've killed one mouflon with that bullet. Quartering to me and hit him on the front point of the shoulder. He dropped and never moved. I was leary of using that bullet on anything other than head shots on hogs and varmints, but it did the job.

I'd only use a hollow point on varmints and maybe head shots on hogs.

I'm going to load the 50 gr. Barnes X bullet next for my CZ.

Comment

we shoot the Hornady Full Boar GMX, I thinks it is 50gr. my sons TC Contender shoots it really well and are 2-2 on deer last year.

Comment

I use American Eagle 55 grain from Academy. Put bullet in the same spot almost all the time.

Comment

Federal Fusion 62 grain
                    Try a few on pigs like I have.

Comment

I really like the hornady black... thinking 65 grain for the twist rate in your rifle but ive been shooting 75 grain hollow point and it kills them dead. Cheap to shoot too. Nothing fancy but just plain jane exspanding holliwpoint with a little etra weight behind it

Also hornady steel match is good too but hard to find

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to try some hornady SP in 55 grain on some hogs and javi’s his weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                          I just picked up a Howa 1500 a few months ago on a trade. Wanting to see what ammo is recommended for an all around round for hogs, deer and predators.
                          I picked up a box of Winchester 55 grain and hornady Varmint in 55 grain and they both shoot great. thinking about 60-64 grain for a little more knock down power, but do not know if the 1:12 twist will shoot them.
                          I have a Weatherby Vanguard (made by Howa) with a 1:12 twist. It is really accurate with 55 gr ammo but much over that it goes down hill.

The Barnes TSX 55 gr and Hornady Spire Points 55 gr both shoot awesome

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                            I really like the hornady black... thinking 65 grain for the twist rate in your rifle but ive been shooting 75 grain hollow point and it kills them dead. Cheap to shoot too

Also hornady steel match is good too but hard to find
                            I looked at academy today for the hornady match but they didn’t have any.

Thought about the black but it shot horrible out of my Grendel so didn’t want to spend money just to try.

Comment

I use Remington 55gr CorLoc PSP in my Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. Shot several deer and a bunch of turkey with it. Some people say the Mini is not accurate but turkey neck shots at 90 yards don't lie.

Comment

Working...
                              X