Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding someone to a house deed

Asking for a friend.

Have a friend who's mom who's health is starting to go downhill wants to add her daughter to the deed on the house instead of having to worry about a will, etc. Would the quit deed form be the best way to go for it?

Calling Graysonhogs......

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Writing a will would be easier than changing the deed.

Will it over and save the trouble.
      Last edited by HoustonHunter; 08-16-2018, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Research Ladybird Deed and see if she qualifies.

I agree, usually a will is more sufficient, but they real need to speak with an attorney. Nothing worse than doing it wrong and trying to fix it for probate cause.

oh look...what is that?

Comment

You could maybe consider a power of attorney (POA) if you all are dead set against a will. If it is a durable POA I "think" it does not expire when the person becomes incapacitated or deceased. You would definitely want to double check that with a lawyer though. Back in 2002 my dad gave my brother POA when he knew he was terminal. It made dividing assets less stress because my brother was able to sign for anything that required a signature.

I also did a POA with my wife buying this house in TX. She was in PA and unable to fly out for closing. I was here staying in a hotel. I had a LOT of signing, but it worked out well and we didn't have to delay closing. In this case the title company handled setting it up.

It still seems like a will might be the way to go. Less "honorable" family members seem to come out of the woodwork with their hands out when someone dies.

Comment

Oh geez. Please consult with an attorney.

No a "quit deed form" [assuming you mean Quitclaim Deed] will not work.

No a POA won't help at all.

Yes a Lady Bird Deed may absolutely be better than a disposition of the house via Will for her, depending on her individual circumstances.

No, the LBD won't convey all of the rest of her assets, if any, and she needs to consult with an experienced estate planning attorney.

Yes, she should have a valid attorney-prepared Will to cover any outlying assets or "unkowns" at a minimum.

Comment

Last edited by BigL; 08-17-2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                Oh geez. Please consult with an attorney.

No a "quit deed form" [assuming you mean Quitclaim Deed] will not work.

No a POA won't help at all.

Yes a Lady Bird Deed may absolutely be better than a disposition of the house via Will for her, depending on her individual circumstances.

No, the LBD won't convey all of the rest of her assets, if any, and she needs to consult with an experienced estate planning attorney.

Yes, she should have a valid attorney-prepared Will to cover any outlying assets or "unkowns" at a minimum.
                Cool thanks! For some reason they were against a will. There is a lot of family drama and the only thing the mom wants is to make sure the daughter who is caring for her gets the house. The rest of the assets she doesn't want to have to decide who gets what.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                  Cool thanks! For some reason they were against a will. There is a lot of family drama and the only thing the mom wants is to make sure the daughter who is caring for her gets the house. The rest of the assets she doesn't want to have to decide who gets what.
                  Well they’re her assets so she is going to have to. Or everyone can lawyer up after she dies and fight it out.

Where’s she located? I’ll see if I can get a name for her to call.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                    Well they’re her assets so she is going to have to. Or everyone can lawyer up after she dies and fight it out.

Where’s she located? I’ll see if I can get a name for her to call.
                    Located in Austin

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                      Located in Austin
                      Ok, just PM'd you a name. Good luck!

Comment

I love it when Grayson shows up!!!

oh look...what is that?

Comment

Consult attorney.
                          But if the house is basically the only asset, write the will to pass it to daughter and then probate the will as a muniment of title after death. No reason to open an estate, appoint executor, etc. Will serves as chain of title in deed records.

Comment

Can she sell the house to her daughter now for $1.00 ?

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
                              Consult attorney.
                              But if the house is basically the only asset, write the will to pass it to daughter and then probate the will as a muniment of title after death. No reason to open an estate, appoint executor, etc. Will serves as chain of title in deed records.
                              If those are the facts, why do that when it can pass immediately without cost and without delay, and when another recorded instrument can serve as chain of title?

Comment

Working...
                              X