Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Texas 2017: Pigs, pigs and more pigs!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas 2017: Pigs, pigs and more pigs!!!

I’ve been hunting same ground in east Texas for 38 years now. We’ve always had hogs, but nothing like this year. Just finished trail cam survey and it’s ridiculous how few deer to hogs are hitting unfenced corn baited sites. May as well not bait anyplace without a hog panel corral around the feeder or protein trough.

Is this unique to northern Polk County or is everyplace in east Texas covered up in hogs this year?

I appreciate all the offers to bring hog doggers, shoot our hogs for us, bring traps etc but we deal with them ourselves and have killed nearly 120 in 6 months of 2018 on 6000 acres without much impact. We’ve got large corral traps everywhere and stay after them. Don’t need help eradicating- just wondering if the whole region is as ate up with these dang corn and protein thieves?

And I know it’s not 2017 anymore but once title is inserted you can’t edit it so spare me the smart arse corrections please.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pineywoods Paul; 08-06-2018, 10:16 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0DD388AF-ED49-45BA-87FF-FB0E8ADDF6A9.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	24547790East Tx as well, Trinity county. The hogs are on us pretty good this year as well. At end of last year we had about 4 large trap shy boars. Looks like not all were boars. Had a new group of piglets show up.

Comment

It's 2018

Sorry

Comment

They been terrible

Comment

I'm covered with them as well. We have 2 groups of 20-30 that come through daily. I have pens around 2 feed stations and 3 without. The 3 without are pig killing areas. Deer rarely hit them and would rather go to the pens. I have many pics with deer inside pens and hogs just outside circling for feed. I also have 1 big boar that doesn't mind jumping inside and eating all he can! He will die this month!

Comment

I haven't had time to even think about starting feeders this year but if last year was any indication then I am sure they will be worse than ever. I think this might be the year I build some feeder pens....

Comment

We had it bad last year in Cass county. Hogs cost me a BUNCH in $$...this year, I am prepared for ALL hogs to die at any time seen. However, they clear cut the one area that we were seeing hogs the most often. that has really made them disappear from that hunting area.

Comment

Very bad in Cherokee this year as well as my place in Angelina, which has never had hogs

Comment

Lots of hogs at my place in Angelina county too. Only our second year on the place but they definitely seem worse this year.

Comment

Yeah got bad last year in rusk county I killed 22 while in the deer stand last year

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                      Yeah got bad last year in rusk county I killed 22 while in the deer stand last year
                      Well done. That’s a solid number !

Comment

Our issue is protein troughs that we haven’t yet fenced and camera stations that are unfenced- we have one camera station for every 150 acres so need around 40. No way to fence each so we waste a lot of $ complying with trailcam survey requirements. Most are getting 95% hog traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
                          Our issue is protein troughs that we haven’t yet fenced and camera stations that are unfenced- we have one camera station for every 150 acres so need around 40. No way to fence each so we waste a lot of $ complying with trailcam survey requirements. Most are getting 95% hog traffic.
                          Time for a helicopter crew to come in. Survey deer and kill some piggies!

Comment

Jager pro trap. we have caught over 400 in the last 3 years.

Comment

I will put my cameras out in the next week or so but I didn't feed all summer long because last year when I did the hogs were terrible. I'm in Seven Oaks and have a large swamp on my lease and two creeks running right through my hunt area so ill probably always have them but last year i had 27 in one picture and they were all decent size not a bunch of piglets.

Comment

Working...
                              X