Native plant landscaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native plant landscaping

Are their any landscapers out there that can give me some pointers on native Texas plant landscaping? I am looking to try this myself but don’t really know where to start. Low maintenance, drought and deer resistant plants. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not a landscaper but have landscaped my all the way around my house. I have no lawn so don't own a lawn mower.

I like to use lots of big rocks. Water soaks under the rocks but can't evaporate so plants planted around them do well with less water. I have a little slope so made rock walls and filled in behind them with dirt.

For plants, look on the Native Plant Society of Texas website for plant lists. Pay attention to sun requirements, bloom times and deer resistance.

First pic is back yard, second is front yard and last is one side yard.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm a Lubbock guy, but know Xeriscaping, and also Native plants. My company does a lot of low water management landscape, and we will put in some drip to get plants started and then let plants take care of themselves. As far as materials, soft leaf yucca, silverado/texas sage, red common yucca, and there are 4 or 5 grasses that are good. I'll be happy to help. Just message or text me.

Comment

@hotrod, what county you in?

Do you know what zone your in?
        What are you looking for....color, greenery, spring color, winter color, attract butterflies, attract hummingbirds.
        ???

Comment

If you're looking for native grasses, buffalo grass or a blend of buffalo and blue grama make a pretty lawn. I help people grow natives for a living. I'll be happy to help if I can.

Comment

Use this plant guide. It's a pretty good resource.

Comment

I'm a big fan of American beautyberry. Saw those with the berries in bloom out at Bob Sandlin and been wanting to plant ever since. Not a greenthumb by any stretch of imagination though

Comment

Working...
              X