Barndo vs Mobile Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo vs Mobile Home

we have 26 acres we want to put a house on for my parents to move back to Texas. For those that have info, which is better, building a Barndo or just buying a mobile home and putting it there for them? We have a water well and electric already.

I have looked at some Mueller houses and they look pretty nice.

Any info would be great thanks in advice.

Ricky

Other than being a faster choice neither have much value once you put them in place. Just find a used mobile home and use it. Then plan from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s what I was thinking. It’s pretty sandy soil and I feel a mobile home would be easier to level.

Comment

mobile homes go down in value like crazy from year to year. I have no experience with Barndo houses, but that would be my choice between the two.

Comment

Barndo will be much nicer than a mobile home but they are slow to build. I have a barndo and would not trade it for the most expensive mobile home. Safer in storms, quiter, more energy efficient, custom Cabinets, tile flies. And on and on.

Comment

We just finished up our barndo, 2700 sq ft living and 1400 sq ft shop. With well and septic came in just over 200,000. Way better investment in my opinion. Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Dodson View Post
              We just finished up our barndo, 2700 sq ft living and 1400 sq ft shop. With well and septic came in just over 200,000. Way better investment in my opinion. Yeah

Awesome. I am looking at 1500/1500 living shop. PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                Other than being a faster choice neither have much value once you put them in place. Just find a used mobile home and use it. Then plan from there.

Wrong on so many levels. A Barndo will add value to the property. MH will depreciate over time. A well built Barndo will appreciate just like a house. I'm a RE Broker and have built and sold several Barndo's and all made money. MH has never retained their original value.
                Last edited by borocat; 11-19-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I’d do a barndo if you can swing it.

Comment

Originally posted by borocat View Post
                    Wrong on so many levels. A Barndo will add value to the property. MH will depreciate over time. A well built Barndo will appreciate just like a house. I'm a RE Broker and have built and sold several Barndo's and all made money. MH has never retained their original value.
                    I don't think I'm all that wrong. A stick build would be ideal. For temporary shelter for the parents a used mobile home would be perfect. I'm sure you can make some money on a barndo or double wide. Especially if the money is cheap and easy. But for the long term a house would much better.

Comment

Agree, mobile home is a depreciating asset, barndo will appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                        I don't think I'm all that wrong. A stick build would be ideal. For temporary shelter for the parents a used mobile home would be perfect. I'm sure you can make some money on a barndo or double wide. Especially if the money is cheap and easy. But for the long term a house would much better.
                        You aren't going to make ay money inn a dbl wide. There are reasons why banks don't like lending on them. Barndo carries same weight as stick built.

Comment

We just got finished putting our mobile home on our property. Lots of work but worth it. Look at there cookie cutter homes before u buy used. We don't have any regrets thus far!

Comment

You aren't going to make ay money inn a dbl wide. There are reasons why banks don't like lending on them. Barndo carries same weight as stick built.
                            Ok. The used trailer would be temporary. Stick built then barn/shop. The appraiser will value the stick built more. The barn/shop will be valued at 30-40kif it cost you 100k to build. At least in my area. Maybe they value barns/shops like the do houses in your hood?

Comment

whats the price difference between a stick build and a barndo? The main thing that scares me is the soil and foundation. I guess I could look at pier and beam as well.

So many options...

Comment

Working...
                              X