Flying with a toddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with a toddler

We have a big trip to Australia coming up next april. Trying to book plane tickets now and either from Los Angeles to Melbourne or Dallas to Sydney is only a 2 hour flight difference, one is 15 hours, the other is 17. My little boy will be less than 2 years old so we arent required to purchase his own seat. He will have plenty of family members to bounce back and forth for some lap time. Talking with my wife, we are undecided on if we want to spend the extra $1300 on getting his own seat or not. Anyone have input on flying with a toddler of this age??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Only input I have is I hate being on planes with toddlers [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

NOPE!

I’ve flow. With a toddler before, never freakin again. I’d pay 2x’s that with a big poop eating grin on my face. Especially for that long of a flight

Maybe your kid isn’t a typical 2 yr old, but odds are he/she is

Comment

I flew to Florida with my 2 yo this year.... I almost left him in the toilet. 2 hours was a beating

Good luck, either you or the kid will need narcotics

Comment

Put him in the checked luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
            We have a big trip to Australia coming up next april. Trying to book plane tickets now and either from Los Angeles to Melbourne or Dallas to Sydney is only a 2 hour flight difference, one is 15 hours, the other is 17. My little boy will be less than 2 years old so we arent required to purchase his own seat. He will have plenty of family members to bounce back and forth for some lap time. Talking with my wife, we are undecided on if we want to spend the extra $1300 on getting his own seat or not. Anyone have input on flying with a toddler of this age??

Prayers sent for you, your wife, and especially the other passengers

I flew from NOLA to San Diego (2.5 hrs) with our 3 yr old daughter and it was rough. When their ears begin to pop from cabin pressure, all you can do is hold and comfort them. Definitely get the extra seat

Comment

Benadryl....knock him out

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                Prayers sent for you, your wife, and especially the other passengers

I flew from NOLA to San Diego (2.5 hrs) with our 3 yr old daughter and it was rough. When their ears begin to pop from cabin pressure, all you can do is hold and comfort them. Definitely get the extra seat
                [emoji26] that never even crossed my mind about their ears popping. Oh lord!

Comment

Buy the kiddo a seat in coach. . . and bump yourself up to first class! Ooooof.

Comment

Have a bottle or sippy cup or lollipop and make them drink on take off and landing. Use melatonin for helping to fall asleep.

Comment

Our pediatrician recommended children’s Dramamine for our flights to Saudi. Our kids started making those trips (around 23 hours door to door from Houston) at 6 months and 18 months and probably made 15 trips at least during our time there. Trust me and get the Dramamine and make sure you have enough for the return trip.

Comment

Man y’all have some bad experiences or kids. Mine have always been great on planes starting at 6 months. Drinking a bottle helps ears and bring plenty of small toys or activities and it’s a breeze. 15 is a long haul we have only gone up to 8 but never an issue

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          Man y’all have some bad experiences or kids. Mine have always been great on planes starting at 6 months. Drinking a bottle helps ears and bring plenty of small toys or activities and it’s a breeze. 15 is a long haul we have only gone up to 8 but never an issue
                          ^

My 2.5 year old has been flying since he was a baby with no issues. We bring enough to entertain him now. At this age, an iPad and headphones is key (with lots of snacks). We aren’t the kind of parents that hand off an iPad to a kid but for flights it makes everyone’s lives easier. Download Netflix and load it up with their favorite shows/movies.

If you’ve got family to bounce him around, I wouldn’t spend the money.

Safe travels!

Comment

We just flew back from London. 10 hr flight. The people in front of us had an approx 2yr old on their lap. The kid didn’t sleep hardly at all. She was a handful to be in a lap that long. If it’s me, I’m buying the seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My kids have flown since they were 9 months. Been on several trips. To the people saying buy the extra seat...why? It’s just wasted money imo. The kids want to sit in your lap anyway. And if they are being bad, it doesn’t matter if they are in their own seat or not, they will still be bad. I’ve been fortunate in that my kids have been relatively easy to travel with. As mentioned above, have something for them to suck on while landing/taking off (bottle does wonders). And keep lots of snacks and stuff to entertain them

Comment

Working...
                              X