Practicing just the draw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practicing just the draw?

So due to work I'm not always able to make it to the range often. I do at least once a week, but would like ti practice more. I'm thinking it'd be worthwhile to atleast practice drawing to the same anchor every time with good form. I also could see it hurting my shooting since there's no feedback by way of shooting results. I'm wondering if it might affect my release too since I'd have to constantly slowly bring the bow back to an undrawn state.
    Thoughts? Worthwhile or waste of time?

I’d set up a target at five yards and just work on perfecting your draw and release. I’ve been doing this and it helped me learn how to really float my pin and surprise myself with the shot. Translated well into shooting good groups at 50+ yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would set a bag behind the house or in the garage, or in the hall if nothing else

Comment

If i could have a target at 5 yards i would. Apartment living for now limits me on that. This practice would be in place of practice at the range when I can't make it. I'd rather have some practice than none at all, but not if it's actually no help/bad habit forming.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
          I would set a bag behind the house or in the garage, or in the hall if nothing else
          I thought about putting one in the living room, i could range 5-10 yards.. just gotta get wife on board

Comment

I live in an apartment and I usually just set the target up beside my truck or behind it. Luckily there’s a county drainage pond next to my apartments that never gets real wet I can shoot in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Even if you don't have room for shooting a bale at close range, I believe just practicing your draw has benefits. You can work on all the basic elements of form, eg: learning to use your back muscles to draw, deep hook, relaxed hand/forearm, repeatable anchor points. A lot of people will draw, hold then let down a bunch of times every day to build up the "bow drawing muscles"

Comment

buy an accubow

Comment

Just shoot indoors when she’s not there.

Comment

I'm guessing opinions are going to vary wildly on this.

personally, I wouldn't practice drawing with my bow without an arrow... or without releasing. If I want to practice draw to an anchor point, get you an draw aid (rubber band/tubing that you wrap over your hand and draw.)

The problem for me is that I have drawn without an arrow and it feels weird and I don't feel like anything is right at all because there are alignment checks, etc that I get when I am looking through the riser of the bow, etc, etc.

The drawing aid allows me to focus on my "feel" at anchor for my face/hand... it helped me stop torqueing the string, because the nature of a draw aid lets you see if you are twisting your draw hand relative to your grip hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Japeatr View Post
                      buy an accubow
                      ^^This.

I got mine a couple months ago. It has a laser on it, and the tension strength is adjustable.

Edit: The Accubow is not for accuracy purposes. Yes you get to release the band, but it’s made for strength and endurance training.

Comment

I should have included that I'd still be nocking an arrow so that my brain gets used to the same sight picture, alignments, etc. Just the release wouldn't be there, which means no shot feedback.
                        Might just put the block in the living room and tell her too bad on this one.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to practice drawing to anchor and adding an additional goal of focusing on your spot without shooting. That way you train your mind to focus on your spot and not necessarily on releasing. That's actually an awesome training method to overcome target panic. The risk being that you do release an unintended arrow in your apartment (so a backstop just in case would be in order).

Comment

I would just hope it wouldn’t cause you to have to think about releasing the arrow. You should automatically release without even thinking about it. I just put myself in the position and I could see it subconsciously making me hesitant to release after too much. Just my opinion.

Comment

That's not a bad point. One of the harder things to do hunting or in a competitive shoot is to let down without releasing. We are programmed to draw and release. I've seen seasoned archers dry fire bows because of that.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X