No announcement yet.

Stihl chain saw repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to work on my saw, but it's not a Stihl, mine's a cheapo Poulan but it does everything I need it to. It's doing the bogging down thing lately, I have to squeeze the throttle slowly until it reaches full throttle, then let it rev all the way up before cutting. Sound like I'm getting air in the line to you?

On another note, we too have a guy at the FD that works on Stihl, Husky and Echo saws at the local COOP. He says most of his business comes from ethanol gas. He has no problems with the guys that use their saws daily, the only thing they come in for is filters and new chains. It's the guys that use their saw once a year, then toss it in the garage with fuel in it and never run it again until the next year. The next time the start it up, the fuel "gone bad" (I think it collects water or something) and the saw will seize up. Says the only thing you can do then is replace the cylinder and piston.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
      I need to work on my saw, but it's not a Stihl, mine's a cheapo Poulan but it does everything I need it to. It's doing the bogging down thing lately, I have to squeeze the throttle slowly until it reaches full throttle, then let it rev all the way up before cutting. Sound like I'm getting air in the line to you?

On another note, we too have a guy at the FD that works on Stihl, Husky and Echo saws at the local COOP. He says most of his business comes from ethanol gas. He has no problems with the guys that use their saws daily, the only thing they come in for is filters and new chains. It's the guys that use their saw once a year, then toss it in the garage with fuel in it and never run it again until the next year. The next time the start it up, the fuel "gone bad" (I think it collects water or something) and the saw will seize up. Says the only thing you can do then is replace the cylinder and piston.
      It does sound like it could have a fuel line problem but it could be something different all together. Most of the time ( since it does run ) it can be fixed for less that $40
      Carb kit is around $13, fuel lines $1.50 and a little labor.
      I agree with the ethanol that crap just plain sux especially if it site any time at all.

Comment

PM's sent

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
          I just did this on my weed eater today. Dropped that dang little and spent an hour looking for it.
          That little spring sure can get away from you.

Comment

A little work today on broke *** equipment.
            Apparently the trimmer was run over .
            New case, shaft and a few other things and it's good as new for half the cost of a new replacement

Comment

What is a general factory setting for fuel mix screws? I've always used 2 turns out on 4 wheelers. Is there something like that for chainsaws?

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                What is a general factory setting for fuel mix screws? I've always used 2 turns out on 4 wheelers. Is there something like that for chainsaws?
                There really is no standard as far as I can tell
                I have books to reference per carb. Typically it seems to be around 1 full turn high and low. Some are 1-1/4 or 2 full turns. I have even run across one that was 4 turns.
                On a chain saw I believe you be ok to start with 1 full and work a 1/4 turn open from there

Comment

Working...
                X