Any horse trainers on the GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any horse trainers on the GS?

You don't have to be some kind of horse whisperer, just a guy who knows how to train horses to rope. I'm getting into it, and I have an invite to go rope once a month at a local arena. Still looking for a horse, and have noticed that fully saddle broke horses that know cows and how to rope are much more expensive than saddle broke horses that just know cows. I really wouldn't mind going through all the learning phases with my horse, so I thought I'd see what the HS thought. If you know of some tips and tricks you'd like to share, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

This is one of those times when 'growing together' is not the best idea. You need to learn to rope on a horse that knows his job, no matter what you do 'wrong' in the saddle. A horse needs to learn his job from someone who knows how to teach him to do with confidence, what he needs to, and to correct mistakes when they are made. Solid training on a roping horse takes time, just like it does with any discipline. I'd hate to see you (and the horse) discouraged because one or both of you weren't sure of what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
      This is one of those times when 'growing together' is not the best idea. You need to learn to rope on a horse that knows his job, no matter what you do 'wrong' in the saddle. A horse needs to learn his job from someone who knows how to teach him to do with confidence, what he needs to, and to correct mistakes when they are made. Solid training on a roping horse takes time, just like it does with any discipline. I'd hate to see you (and the horse) discouraged because one or both of you weren't sure of what you are doing.
      ^^^^^^this!!

I know trained horses are expensive but it's tough to learn a new skill while you are training a horse!!! It's best to buy one that knows what it is doing already!

Comment

x3 on the above.

$3500 will get you a heck of a roping horse.

Comment

^^^^^this .... U looking for a head or heel horse????

Comment

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post
            ^^^^^this .... U looking for a head or heel horse????
            I'm looking for a ranch horse. Something that'll work cows and rope well enough for me to get started.

Comment

Thanks man! It'll take a bit longer to save up for a good roper, but i get what you're saying and it makes all the sense in the world.

Comment

Too bad you're so far away because my wife is one of the best around. I can't ride anymore but that woman can flat break and train a horse for any discipline. Ranch work is her ( used to be ours) specialty.

Good luck in your search.

Btw, I just sold my ranch horse to a rancher in Oklahoma for 6,000. Well trained and solid don't come cheap, even in this market.
                Last edited by Geezy Rider; 09-30-2014, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                  Too bad you're so far away because my wife is one of the best around. I can't ride anymore but that woman can flat break and train a horse for any discipline. Ranch work is her ( used to be ours) specialty.

Good luck in your search.

Btw, I just sold my ranch horse to a rancher in Oklahoma for 6,000. Well trained and solid don't come cheap, even in this market.
                  You are right. With my fiancé remaining jobless and us getting married, it looks like I will have to settle for just having a new saddle for now. Hopefully I can get work here and there with my buddy who will lend me using horses. But, if not I will just have to wait until We can afford a nice roper. At least I have this saddle for when the time comes!!!!!

Comment

X4 on the above recommendations. Buy yourself a good horse; not sure $ 3500 will buy a good horse unless it is an older horse which is not a bad idea. Not all horses will make a good rope horse what if the one you are trying to learn on is one of those? If you are learning to rope this means you do not know what you are doing yet. So who is going to teach the horse the correct way? Kinda like the blind leading the blind.

Word of caution team roping is very addictive.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                      I'm looking for a ranch horse. Something that'll work cows and rope well enough for me to get started.

Just doesn't work man. You HAVE to start with a finished preferably older roping horse. Anyone that tells you different is just trying to sell you a horse. Please listen to the ropers on here. It's 100% the truth!
                      And like team roper said its very very addictive!!! Have fun and good luck!
                      Also you need to be a world champion dummy roper on the ground before you even try it on the back of a horse!! So you got plenty of time!! Take your time finding the right horse.

Comment

Found ya one...

Learn on a SEASONED horse! The last thing you want to do is try to learn to rope on a horse you gotta train on.
                        Last edited by kck; 10-01-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

My advise would be to hang around as many practice pens as you can. Offer to work the chute or bring back cattle. Most ropers will reward hard work with some good advise and possibly let you ride a horse from time to time.

Let then know your looking for an old horse that knows it's job. Those guys will help find what you need. They may even let you lease one until you get the money to buy.

Rope the dummy often but with a purpose. Mistakes made on the ground will transfer to the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by murph62 View Post
                            Just doesn't work man. You HAVE to start with a finished preferably older roping horse. Anyone that tells you different is just trying to sell you a horse. Please listen to the ropers on here. It's 100% the truth!
                            And like team roper said its very very addictive!!! Have fun and good luck!
                            Also you need to be a world champion dummy roper on the ground before you even try it on the back of a horse!! So you got plenty of time!! Take your time finding the right horse.
                            Amen to the world champion dummy roper on the ground. Guy that taught me wouldnt let.me swing a rope from a horse til i caught 100 in a row from the ground. And addictive it.is you will find yourself in the back yard with just the dummy slingin away. Good luck bud

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                              My advise would be to hang around as many practice pens as you can. Offer to work the chute or bring back cattle. Most ropers will reward hard work with some good advise and possibly let you ride a horse from time to time.

Let then know your looking for an old horse that knows it's job. Those guys will help find what you need. They may even let you lease one until you get the money to buy.

Rope the dummy often but with a purpose. Mistakes made on the ground will transfer to the horse.

This is also great advice!! This is how I started in the 80s

Comment

Working...
                              X