Baitfish trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baitfish trap

After seeing online prices of $75+ after shipping I decided to build my own. Fish don't stand a chance if this thing works! Hardware cloth and zip ties. $17 bucks and 2 hours.
    Attached Files

I'll give ya $20 bucks for it.

We going Saturday?

Comment

I used one similar to that a few years ago that a friend let me borrow. If you have a good bait pond, it'll catch 50-100 at a time. Best trap I've ever used. His only had there entry holes, but there was a separate compartment where the bait cylinder is that had a cone entrance. Kinda like a trap inside a trap. One thing about the zip ties though, they don't weather very well. They will become brittle.

Comment

I've made a few like that and instead of zip ties used hog rings. They work like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texifornia View Post
          I'll give ya $20 bucks for it.

We going Saturday?
          Yep and hopefully with some perch!

Comment

Yea I need to find some aluminum clips like they use on squirrel traps. Anybody know where to get them? TSC ain't got em.

Comment

I made one like that but with metal clips instead of wire ties and it will fill up with bait in a hurry!

Comment

You fishing Lake Pat? I was out there today.

Comment

Nicely done !

Sent from somewhere in Old Mexico...

Comment

Most feed stores have the j clips and the pliers to make cages from hardware cloth, I make my own varmit cages in San Antonio Locke hill feed has them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My grandfather showed my cousins and I how to build one like that when we were growing up. It worked great until one day we caught a cotton mouth in it. My cousin and I blew holes in it with a 410 trying to kill that snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        You fishing Lake Pat? I was out there today.
                        Nope. I usually head to Whitney.

Comment

I have made a bunch in the past. I use crab trap rings mostly with the rabbit cage clips as hinges for door and hog rings on the corners. Yes, they will catch a snake. 20 ft. piece of cloth will make 2.

Comment

It works well and all you need for bait is a crumbled up piece of aluminum foil! The glitter from the light hitting it really attracts the bream!

Comment

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
                              It works well and all you need for bait is a crumbled up piece of aluminum foil! The glitter from the light hitting it really attracts the bream!
                              Really? I baited mine with range cubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X