Started a laminate bow build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started a laminate bow build

Well here it goes...Started a bamboo backed ipe build with boisdarc riser and power lam. Long story short, it blew up. I figured it would be good to share my failure.I've learned from it and hopefully someone else can too. I used titebond 3 and at about 50lbs. on the tiller tree, it delaminated. All the glue was on the bamboo, so my assumption is I didn't clean enough of the oil off the ipe or the surface want rough enough for the glue to adhere. Oh well, on to the next one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Will share photos if the delamination tonight...stay tuned!

Comment

Man, that's too bad to hear. Hopefully the next one goes better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bummer on the delam! Sweet looking Shop! I have dust collection system envy!

Comment

That's a bummer. Did you groove both the bamboo and ipe before glue up? It is a pretty important step to avoid too much glue being squeezed out when when clamped.

Comment

Bassmatt72, not my shop.is where I work.I manage a lab in the engineering school at local university. We are essentially a maker space.

Stickbow, I did rough up both surface with 80 grit, apparently it should have been rougher. I think I also should have wiped it little more with acetone to get rid if done if the oils in the ipe. Titebond 3 likes a fairly tight squeeze because it's not gap filling like urac and other epoxies. Even still, I didn't want to over tighten but I might have a bit. Will use cordage next time during glue up.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

That's sucks my take down bow I was doing a build a long on here a while back blew up too. One thing that could have caused the delamination on you here was using the acetone on the oily Ipe. When you use acetone on oily wood it tends to bring more oil to the surface. Good luck on the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
                          That's sucks my take down bow I was doing a build a long on here a while back blew up too. One thing that could have caused the delamination on you here was using the acetone on the oily Ipe. When you use acetone on oily wood it tends to bring more oil to the surface. Good luck on the next one.
                          Hmm hasn't considered that.

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post

Stickbow, I did rough up both surface with 80 grit, apparently it should have been rougher. I think I also should have wiped it little more with acetone to get rid if done if the oils in the ipe. Titebond 3 likes a fairly tight squeeze because it's not gap filling like urac and other epoxies. Even still, I didn't want to over tighten but I might have a bit. Will use cordage next time during glue up.

I actually use a toothing plane blade to finishing prepping the bamboo and osage. It adds perfect grooves for the gluing surfaces, plus you can remove any necessary material to get the taper you need on the bamboo. I learned that from the late Dean Torges. We were at Denton Hill Traditional archery rendezvous and he recommended it. It is also in his video about building BBO's.

Comment

Working...
                            X