Deer not coming to Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer not coming to Protein?

Started feeding protein for the first time this year and we have had little to no success in getting the deer to come to the new feed. We have the feeders in "sanctuary" type areas where no one hunts. Right now the few pics of deer coming to the feeders are a couple doe and thats it.

Anyone have any tricks or hints or does it just take some time for them to get used to the new feed?

We are feeding a protein mix (cotton seed, peas, soybean, corn, and various other minerals) and then also Antler Max 20%. We started feeding a little more than a month ago.

Thanks for the any help a head of time!

Lots of native groceries on the range right now in lieu of all the good late winter rains. We have discontinued supplement on our ranch. We're gonna save about $15k per year in doing so. We'll focus on native improvements through controlled burns every year or so. However, may feed cottonseed and/or black eyed peas in the summer months during dry years.

Comment

even on places where the deer are protein hounds, right now they are eating other treats because of all the rain, yum yum

Comment

It takes time for them to get used to it. Be patient and when they need it, they will eat it. It took our deer a few months to get used to it, but now 6 years later, they literally devour it. I got 3400 pictures on 3 protein feeders over 3 weeks last month.

Comment

hhhhhhmmmmm. This is why I have not put out protein on my farm. No one around us feed it so I'm afraid the deer would shy away from it? Also, I can't even get the deer to come to my corn feeders right now.

Comment

Maybe they don't like antler max? We always would add a bag or two of corn in the protein feeder before we put the protein on top of it...that way the deer will eat the corn then as the level goes down they slowly start eating the protein....if that doesn't work switch protein feed.....

Comment

Do you have pens around the feeders? If so, how big? maybe deer are not liking to come into feed due to pressure put on them during the season?

Comment

protein

Ours have been tearing it up. They are switching over to natural now.
                Attached Files

Comment

Not only are the deer not coming to my protein (Creepfeed 14), but neither are the hogs which are nearby tearing the **** out of the pasture for grubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                    Do you have pens around the feeders? If so, how big? maybe deer are not liking to come into feed due to pressure put on them during the season?
                    Maybe, and yes there are pens around the feeders, but that is mainly to keep the cattle out and they are plenty big enough for the deer to get in and not feel crowded. They are also in areas where we don't hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                      It takes time for them to get used to it. Be patient and when they need it, they will eat it. It took our deer a few months to get used to it, but now 6 years later, they literally devour it. I got 3400 pictures on 3 protein feeders over 3 weeks last month.
                      I think this might be it, and they just need more time to get used to it.

Comment

Might try adding some corn to the mix to get them to start eating it. It might take them a while before they take a liking to it. They're probably hitting the natural groceries hard right now though. Good luck.

Comment

Our place in the Northern Hill country is really greening up and the deer should be going to the natural browse right now.....

Comment

might try adding a corn feeder too....

Comment

corn

half and half

Comment

Working...
                              X