Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mibro quick start drill bits from Tractor Supply are garbage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mibro quick start drill bits from Tractor Supply are garbage.

I drilled one hole in the web of a t-post and couldn't drill a second hole. It was dull at fast.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20171030_151957.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	25131585

A lot of the bits out there are pure junk.
    When I get some that are cheap I'll do a quick oil quench and it improves them somewhat.

Comment

Bosch bits are about as good a consumer bit as you can buy. My buddy gets me some once in a while from his supplier (he works in a machine shop)

Also, a Drill Doctor is a worthy investment.

I have buckets of drill bits, and when they get dull, I toss them in the “to be sharpened “ bucket.

Once every few months, I’ll sit at the workbench, with a good cigar and a big glass of tea, and sharpen those dull and broken bits (yup, I can grind a new point on a broken bit too)

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I've been eye-ballin' a Drill Dr. since Paul Harvey started advertising them. Haven't bought yet, though.

Comment

I’ve had mine for close to 15 years.

It really appeals to my OCD and ADD tendencies.

I also like to squeeze more life out of my tools

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

There's a good probability that the T post you have are hardened steel which doesn't help when trying to drill holes in them.

I was taught as a young man how to sharpen drill bits on a grinder, its a little tricky at first but once you figure out how geometries, angles and cutting edges work it's easy.

A side note is that alot of TSC stuff is Chicom %#*%
            Last edited by sendit; 10-30-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Don't run them at a high RPM in your cordless drill.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                Yep. Good chance you ran too many RPM's.

Comment

Ive never had any luck drilling into a t-post regardless of what brand drill bit I was using.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                    Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                    Yep. Good chance you ran too many RPM's.
                    I know how a drill works.

I bought two bits there and one was that one and the other one was the Cobalt variety, same brand. It was a $4 bit the one that got dull was like a dollar fifty. I ended up drilling plenty holes with the more expensive one with no problem.
                    I was trying to match a screw size and the 3/8 was the cheaper one and the 17/64 s or whatever it was was more expensive one.
                    I sure wouldn't have guessed that t-posts would be hardened steel though.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post

I was taught as a young man how to sharpen drill bits on a grinder, its a little tricky at first but once you figure out how geometries, angles and cutting edges work it's easy.

A side note is that alot of TSC stuff is Chicom %#*%
                      I learned how to sharpen bits in ag and actually had a knack for it. Just needed the little angle gauge thing and I was good. However, I do not own a bench grinder because I guess the only thing I would ever use it for would be drill bits. I have a hand grinder for working on welding projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                        Bosch bits are about as good a consumer bit as you can buy.
                        Thanks. I could use a new set. I bought a set of Black & Decker's that have actually been good and have lasted about 15 years. The little one's broke and the bigger ones are sure getting dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          I know how a drill works.

I bought two bits there and one was that one and the other one was the Cobalt variety, same brand. It was a $4 bit the one that got dull was like a dollar fifty. I ended up drilling plenty holes with the more expensive one with no problem.
                          I was trying to match a screw size and the 3/8 was the cheaper one and the 17/64 s or whatever it was was more expensive one.
                          I sure wouldn't have guessed that t-posts would be hardened steel though.
                          Yeah, down here at the shop, all we use are either cobalt or carbide. We work with mainly stainless steels. Glad ya got it done.

Comment

Good luck with a drill doctor. It may just be me but i have ruined more bits trying to sharpen them with that setup. I do better free hand with a bench grinder

Comment

Pretty much everything TSC sells is cheap Chinese crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X