Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longbow, Recurve:Which is more forgiving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm also thinking about getting a longbow- any one near Frisco I can try out theirs? Bob I've been planning and prepping the wife on a road trip to visit you.

Comment

Longbow all the way, simple geometry the longer the bow the least acute angles= more forgiving, Recurves do edge out on speed. Longbow's tend to shoot a little quieter and anyone who thinks a "D" shape longbow is shockey doesnt know how to grip one.

Comment

I went a different way from my gun collection tendencies. I had Bob make me a longbow like I wanted and thats the only bow for me till I wear it out.

I learn how it shoots and I am dead on. It messes me up switching between this bow and that. I want to shoot one bow with deadly accuracy...

Comment

recurve is more forgiving, I think this is because there is so much more mass/material in the bow. This makes them more stable and harder to pull off target.

same thing with hand shock, more material to absorbe the energy that can't go into the arrow and less into you.

that is not to say that people don't shoot longbows better. so many say they do, and I believe them....it's just not the case for me.

if you take all the scores from one of the big shoots, like hill country or chester and average them....the recurve scores will avg higher than the longbow scores. so, that is my argument, but to each his own. I own both and shoot both, why limit yourself.

Comment

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind. Handshock will not be an issue with any quality bow. Self bows MAY have a little more thump to them due to the heavier limbs. Some people like myself have a stiff wrist and find gripping the relatively straight handle on some longbows difficult. What ever you get be sure you are comfortable with the grip. If you have a low anchor point the shorter sight window on some longbows may obscure the target at close range. Check that out. With longbow or recurve I find that longer bows perform better. Shorter bows however are much easier to shoot out of a tree or popup blind. Test shoot peoples bows at a local 3-D shoot the more you shoot the better feel you will develop for what you need.
            Chuck

Comment

Working...
            X