Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post
    Butterfield's sealing products.
    CONCRETE CURING AND SEALING PROTECT YOUR DECORATIVE CONCRETE INSTALLATION Curing and sealing concrete increases the strength and durability of the concrete surface while enhancing the appearance and coloration of decorative concrete. Concrete curing is important to help the concrete reach its maximum strength by allowing the concrete to hydrate properly. Sealing concrete provides economical protection for floors and hardscapes, reducing maintenance costs. It also minimizes the effect of de‐icing salts and exposure to gas or oil and discoloration from dirt and spills. Butterfield Color® manufactures a complete line of decorative concrete curing and sealing products engineered to enhance and protect many types of surfaces and are highly recommended for use with uncolored concrete, integrally colored concrete, and color hardened (shake‐on) concrete, stamped or stenciled concrete and cementitious overlays. Warning: Treated surfaces may be slippery during application prior to drying, and when wet with water or liquids after drying. Concrete should be textured sufficiently to eliminate potential slipping hazards. In addition, use a non‐slip additive when sealing. Interior floors may be maintained with a slip resistant wax. Test and confirm that the material is adequately slip resistant prior to opening installation area to any traffic.

I don't know about acid wash, but if I did it I would mix it 10-1 water to acid. You may want to try pressure washing first.
    Yes 10-1 or the pressure wash will work, be carful with either of them. If you do the acid wash be sure to wet the area before applying acid, also just spread it around evenly with a medium broom and then rinse it off, do a section at a time.
    You should be able to seal the next day, look for a low humidity day if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by SL1 View Post
      Protect the brick on your house when you acid wash the patio. I have a friend that trowel finished his and when he sealed it it looked good. However after it rained it was a skating rink. He had to reseal with some additive for traction. I have no idea what sealer he ultimately used.
      If you wet the patio down with water it will show you what it should look like with the sealer(more or less).

Trowel finish is why it was slick.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for the responses. I believe I will mix up and apply a mild acid solution and rinse it off with a light pressure washing this Saturday and try to seal it on Sunday if it looks better. I really appreciate the advice.

Comment

Well I decided to do a mild acid wash on Wednesday to see if that would fix my issues. It didn’t. Then I borrowed a buffer from a friend and used a black scotchbrite pad to try and scrub it off. Didn’t work. Finally I bought some 80 grit sanding screens and sanded the slab and then buffed it with the black scotchbrite pad for about 5 hours Then power washed it clean. This is what I ended up with.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ED398F63-DD30-40B4-88A2-AC7ECF0DADCD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24575280

This morning I sealed it with Butterfield’s solvent sealer and I think it turned out ok.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	CA33E439-DDD9-4591-9A01-1BAFD11823BC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	24575281

I think I can live with it
          Moral of the story..... if your gonna do integral colored concrete make sure your contractor knows what he is doing. Based on my contractor’s website and talking with him and the retailer that sold him the color, he knew what he was doing........ well he didn’t!! I fixed it. It’s not perfect but it’s close enough. Next time I’ll do a little more vetting! Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. Now on to building the pergola porch over it!!

Comment

Looks great

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
              Looks great

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
              Thank you sir!

Comment

Working...
              X