Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like you had a productive day. I wanted to scout today as well but couldn't get off work. I'll be in unit 9, next to the refuge headquarters. Good luck to you.
      Thought of bringing my bow as well.

Comment

If unit 9 is just east of the hq, the hill that runs the length is a decent glassing spot.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
          If unit 9 is just east of the hq, the hill that runs the length is a decent glassing spot.
          That’s exactly what I thinking. Gonna start there tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by jronning77 View Post
            Man its not looking good for the visiting teams it sounds like. I headed there tomorrow to 7H hopefully they will be moving a little more. Anyone else in 7 this weekend? Maybe we can work together and have a better chance on being successful. Anyone have a suggestions on camp grounds?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
            I hunted 7H last weekend and to be honest I didn't see any sign of life other than some old dried up tracks. However, the only spot that gave me hope in (which I ended up moving into the last 2 hunts) had a fresh rub over an acorn pile and a heavily traveled trail that crossed a clearing. you would have to set up almost on top of it to get anything because it is set in under a lot of cover. But 7h I did a lot of walking and that ended up being the best spot. My first set up was right under an old tower stand and over looking that little clearing and tree line right off the spot. Once you walk around you will see it.

Here are the coordinates for the second spot I hunted.
            30°34'54.5"N 98°01'14.6"W
            30.581811, -98.020726

First Place
            30°34'47.8"N 98°01'10.1"W
            30.579953, -98.019463

Hope this helps! Good luck and let us know what you come up with, I hope you have better luck than we did!

Comment

Anyone see anything?
              Totally dead in unit 9

Comment

3 angry squirrels

Comment

There was a buck harvested out of our unit (8) yesterday. No idea on size though. Just saw the game log when I pulled in the gate.

Comment

Saw 2 bucks so far. Small 8 and a spike. Just couldn’t bring myself to shoot

Comment

Better than me. I didn’t even hear my first bird until 8:30. Glad you are seeing activity though!

Comment

The spike
                        Attached Files

Comment

Jumped one doe on the way in. Saw a herd of pigs. Was going to shoot at 250 yards but they were heading towards me so I waited. Never saw them again. Oh well.

Comment

I bailed after the morning hunt and went to my lease.

Comment

I've seen some pretty birds and not much else past two days. Did see fresh hog tracks/wallows and 1-2 deer tracks from the rain midweek but no real animals.

Full moon and depleted forage aren't doing any favors.

I also got the aggravated bees - must be an africanized hive nearby as most hives won't bother chasing you for hours.

7J is mostly thicket. No real sight lines other than right after the hog pen.

Most of the thicket areas have growth blocking any real sight from the ground. I can see the area being a pretty good spot after a burn.

Comment

Balcones Canyonlands NWR is requesting public input for their New Hunt Plan. Which includes opening up alot of new hunt areas to bow/shotgun hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X