Mesquite in the fire place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite in the fire place

I am sure this has been debated before but I missed it. Why can't mesquite be burned in a fire place?

2 of the things I hear is it smokes too much the other is that it burns extremely hot and can crack the brick. Don't all woods smoke and burn hot? I am not sure where the logic comes in.

Has a lot of creosote that will build up in the chimney

Comment

If you have a lot of mesquite to burn then I would mix it with other woods. As long as you don't burn a lot of mesquite at the same time and get the fire too hot you should be good. I have a wood stove and I burn everything in it, mesquite included.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
        Has a lot of creosote that will build up in the chimney
        Ok thanks did not know that

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
          If you have a lot of mesquite to burn then I would mix it with other woods. As long as you don't burn a lot of mesquite at the same time and get the fire too hot you should be good. I have a wood stove and I burn everything in it, mesquite included.
          Thanks

Comment

Hard woods like mesquite are a lot better to burn than soft woods like pine or cedar or juniper. Juniper/cedar is what has a lot of creosote. I've never heard anyone recommend to not burn mesquite in a fireplace. Stay away from sappy soft woods. Burn hard woods like mesquite, oak, or pecan.

I prefer oak, but mostly because it doesn't get longhorn beetles in the wood pile like mesquite. Other than that annoyance, mesquite is great in the fireplace.

Comment

I have been burning mesquite for close to forty years with no problems. We did do away with the fireplace and now have a wood burning stove. Much better control of air flow and we can get a really clean burn.

Comment

Been burning mesquite all my life with no problems. I do clean our chimney yearly though.

Comment

You think Mesquite has a lot of creosote in it?

Comment

it does smell great!

Comment

If you use your fireplace a lot, then absolutely get it cleaned. I have mine done every other year as I only burn oak with some mesquite mixed in. My Chimney Sweep guy inspects the pipes each time he comes out and has mentioned that you can burn the mesquite but I burn more oak. Hope that helps.

Comment

Oak burns a lot slower than mesquite too. Mesquite good wood but you got to have more if it and mess with it more compared to Oak. Mesquite cooks good hot and fast for a steak!

Comment

Too hot

Comment

Working...
                          X