Arrows are hissing on the way to the target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrows are hissing on the way to the target

Ok I've stepped back to 20yds to practice as it shows very clearly anything that I do wrong. I'm not more accurate than I am normally but I've had to slow way down to make sure I at least get within the pie plate that I'm using for my target. I noticed that every few shots the arrow makes a loud *ssssssss* as it heads out. When this happens the arrow impacts nock high or nock left or nock right or anything but centered. I marked the shafts to make sure I didn't have one that was odd and there isn't any one arrow that does it every time.

Thoughts?

Richard.

Feathers do that.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Feathers do that.
      LOL! Yeah I know that but this is much louder than normal. The ones that don't do it are almost silent as they go, the loud ones are LOUD. I'm thinking it's my release as the fletchings are working harder to get the shaft in line for flight but can't pin-point what it is.

Richard

Comment

Then IDK. Could be a bad release causing them to exert more drag while the arrow is out of alignment.

Comment

DRT I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you have a very dry sense of humor in person. Your "Feathers do that" freaking cracked me up.

Richard.

Comment

Well I know it amazed me how quiet vanes were when I switched to them back in the day. Sometimes, I'm a little hard of hearing anymore, it scares me how loud my bows sound on a still day from a blind or beside the privacy fence. I think sometimes it's easier to notice. Your form looked fine on your video but I know from a shot before it hits the target if I have a form faux pas. See if you can put the two together that way.

Comment

There are only two things on an arrow that could cause it to be noisy as it flies to the target. The point or the fletching. You either have a loose point or an issue with the fletching like portions of the feather being torn out or loose. The inconsistent nock position is probably due to release errors or could be spine issues depending on what kind of arrows you are shooting, i.e. wood.
              Last edited by Straitshot; 12-11-2016, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Make sure your tips are tight too. Vibrations can make sound funny sometimes

Comment

Straitshot, Randy, I checked the tips. They are bees-waxed in and don't make noise. I also checked the fletchings and they are new and without issue. It got to be something I'm doing on the release. Hehe, of course it's me dangit. The only variable in this is the nut pulling the string right!?

Richard

Comment

a slight hissing sound is the reason I switched to parabolic instead of shields. Shields look cooler but parabolic are quieter.

Comment

Really. I will order parabolic next time and give them a shot. Get it? A "shot".

Comment

I saw that scenario once, LW feathers fletched with a RW jig. It was crazy, they did not sound or hit different every time. Who knows???

Comment

I use 2 in feathers. They are called Razors and I like them, but they are very critical of a bad release. I tried the bigger fletchings for a while, but these are VERY quiet when i do my part. Tried them as a training situation, then decided that I would hunt with the same set-up. The inconsistent knock travel to me would either mean bad arrow or release issue. Of course others have already stated this, but again, just for good measure. ;-)

Comment

Explain "noc travel" please.

Gary

Comment

He is referring to nock high, low, etc. after the arrow has impacted the target,

Using parabolic cut feathers over shield cut feathers I think gives you slightly more arrow speed also due to less drag.

Use to be flight arrow fletching was made from razor blade material in a parabolic configuration. I think now instead of razor blades they use the stuff floppy computer disks were made of.
                              Last edited by Straitshot; 12-11-2016, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X