Plant/Weed Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant/Weed Identification

There are 2 photos below which may look combined because they were next to each other.
    The first photo is a plant located in the back of a lake which gets flooded a good bit. I believe the plant is able to withstand some flooding but I'm not sure the length of time it can last in standing water. The flowers are white with maybe little shade of pink.

the second photo has what I believe is a type of sedge plant; not sure if that is correct or which type it is.

any info is always appreciated, thanks

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...1&d=1530660187[IMG]
    Attached Files

Second one is giant nutsedge

Not sure of first

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      Second one is giant nutsedge

Not sure of first
      thank you for the info on the giant sedge.

hoping the first one plant has some kind of benefit to ducks or deer. Looks like something has been bedding in it.

Comment

First pic is catnip I believe flowers and leaves look right, check the stems to see if they are square if yes- its catnip.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
          First pic is catnip I believe flowers and leaves look right, check the stems to see if they are square if yes- its catnip.
          Can’t see the pics that well for some reason but to me it’s either like said above or a type of germander

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
            Can’t see the pics that well for some reason but to me it’s either like said above or a type of germander
            It looks similar to both, but I don't believe it is either one. Of the two I believe it looks closer to the Germander, but the leaves of the germander look to only come directly off the stem. The plant above has stems with 5 leaves coming off the leader stem...

Comment

after hours of Google image searching I still haven't found anything that matches up well. I will take more photos this weekend that may help.
              Another description for time being: These grow to 4-5 feet

Comment

Marsh elder (many incorrectly call it sumpweed) and nutsedge, both are indicative of poorly-drained, heavy soils that hold a lot of water (commonly found in bottomlands).

Comment

Any ideas on what kills nutsedge?

Comment

Originally posted by HappyM View Post
                    Any ideas on what kills nutsedge?
                    Money! The herbicides that ill sedge are expensive.

My experiment to control it this year is to mow close to ground then hit it with strong dose of gly. I then immediately planted 15 lbs/acre sunn hemp and 12 lbs acre buckwheat with the strategy to smother it. Purely an experiment I made up. Results TBD.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                      Catnip is AWESOME for keeping mosquitoes off of you!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        Money! The herbicides that ill sedge are expensive.

My experiment to control it this year is to mow close to ground then hit it with strong dose of gly. I then immediately planted 15 lbs/acre sunn hemp and 12 lbs acre buckwheat with the strategy to smother it. Purely an experiment I made up. Results TBD.
                        Rusty, I had a bad case of it in a creek bottom plot on the place I sold last year. I almost doubled the gly and it turned completely black. It was actually in a triangle shaped corner of a bigger plot and wasn't planted to anything. I killed it to keep it from taking over. I killed it last September and as of January 1 it was still dead.

The app Pl@ntNet is a good app to identify unknown plants. I've used it a few times now and it has always worked for me........so far.
                        Last edited by Drycreek3189; 06-17-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X