Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tractor tires- R4 versus Ag. Which do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor tires- R4 versus Ag. Which do you prefer?

So, I just ordered a new tractor and was curious on the tires.
    All my tractors have always had Ag tires.
    Since I mostly use them for shredding, finish mowing, loader work and postholes the dealer talked me into the R4 industrial tires.
    He says they will tear the grass up less, but also have good traction in dirt.
    Will these tires still have sufficient traction if I am doing an occasional food plot(plowing)?
    Any thoughts from ya'll?
    Thanks

Not to many hits on the campfire.
    Any thoughts here?

I am assuming you are getting a 4wd . The R4 tires will be fine, in my soil which is sandy the narrow steer tires tend to push the sand and rut it up. The wider steer tires stay on top of the sand better.

Comment

R-4 tires are turf tires, not good for pulling. Will spin very easy, we have them on are turf tractors.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
        R-4 tires are turf tires, not good for pulling. Will spin very easy, we have them on are turf tractors.
        R4 still has bar and cleat tread but not as aggressive and wider profile. Run 10 -15 pounds pressure in them and they still get decent traction, but not as good as ag tread
        Last edited by Radar; 05-19-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          I am assuming you are getting a 4wd . The R4 tires will be fine, in my soil which is sandy the narrow steer tires tend to push the sand and rut it up. The wider steer tires stay on top of the sand better.
          Yes 4wd. I am up here in the rocks.

Originally posted by RMW View Post
          Turf are different, they are like big riding lawn mower tires. For running on turf grass.
          Options on this tractor are: turf, r4 industrial or ag.

R4 still has bar and cleat tread but not as aggressive and wider profile. Run 10 -15 pounds pressure in them and they still get decent traction, but not as good as ag tread
          Yes, I like my ag tires. But, I always seem to tear the cleats off my front tires when working in this rocky soil, especially doing dirt work.
          I know the r4's will be easier on my yard grass and hold up to these rocks better (wider cleats).
          Radar, so you have been using the r4's to do some plowing?

Thanks to both of you.

Comment

Yes, you will be fine with 4wd, keep the air pressure low so you get a good footprint of the tire.

Comment

Yes, you will be fine with 4wd, keep the air pressure low so you get a good footprint of the tire.
              Thanks, I will leave my order as is.

Comment

Working...
              X