No announcement yet.

Exotic hunts and die off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No clue. I have lots of cover and fed the heck out of them during the bad cold spell. Had a crew cutting all the dead live oak trees. Did lose one doe, two new borns, and a stud BB.

Comment

I have a axis hunt in june still. ranch lost 30% of their axis but they had alot to begin with so Im not worried about it.. The trophy fee of a buck went up $200

It def sucks for these ranches tho.. Hopefully they come back strong

Comment

If you pay $5k to shoot an Axis after this freeze you’re an idiot!

On the other hand if you’re willing to pay $5k to shoot an Axis then PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
          So I am curious for those in the industry we keep hearing of this outfit loosing lots of animals and that outfit right down the road only loosing a few.

What do you thing the difference between the two was water, cover, feed combination of all of the above?
          Feed.
          Some ranches feed a bunch by hand . By hand I mean drive around and dump feed out. Other ranches only run protein and corn feeders. Some only corn feeders. I was out every day dumping fees out. The animals are use to it though and would
          Come out of the brush every time they saw my truck last week.

Comment

I’m not sad about it. Something has to keep invasive species in check, wish it were that simple for hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
              I’m not sad about it. Something has to keep invasive species in check, wish it were that simple for hogs.
              You are right. But these invasives are captive bred and essentially cash/investments to these ranch owners. The Hogs...absolutely. Wish the cold would have taken a greater toll on them.

For the ranches that are very busy. Losing 20% of your herd will impact your bottom line. So what do you do? Cancel hunts? Maybe. That gap needs to be closed because you still have bills to pay. So, prices go up on what is left standing to close that gap.
              JT Larkin on this thread said his hunt already went up $200 for Axis.
              I think after the dust settles and ranchers see what is left. Prices are going to take a big jump.

Supply/ Demand.

Comment

Wait....if the supply of axis is down and the outfitters raise the price doesn’t that deserve a good ole’ tbh price gouging lynching??? I thought that is how that works

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                  You are right. But these invasives are captive bred and essentially cash/investments to these ranch owners.
                  In Gillespie Co. there are plenty of free ranging herds that are definitely competing with white tails.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                    In Gillespie Co. there are plenty of free ranging herds that are definitely competing with white tails.
                    No doubt. My land borders Gillespie and Kerr and I get'em free range.
                    But I am speaking of high fence ops that stock these critters.
                    Many of the Axis and Blackbuck I see and shoot, my neighbors also, are escapees from the areas high fence ranches and they come to our feeders. The Edwards Plateau has the largest amount of WT population in Texas. While WT might be competing with exotics. It does not seem to be making a difference. The WT pop is still growing.
                    Hogs have become the issue now in Harper. More so than ever.

Comment

I'm guessing prices remain steady. Blackbuck and axis live to be 18 plus, multiply quickly and adapt pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                        Wait....if the supply of axis is down and the outfitters raise the price doesn’t that deserve a good ole’ tbh price gouging lynching??? I thought that is how that works
                        Get a rope!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                          Get a rope!!!!!
                          Shots fired!

Comment

I know animals perished because of the extreme cold but I just can’t believe it is as bad as some folks believe
                            I know at my lease in comfort we have been searching hard for carcasses and have found zero.
                            A friend of mine who lives between Giddings and Carmine lost exactly zero of his axis herd
                            Another friend of mine who lives between Bandera and Hondo lost zero axis and only 2 blackbuck.....his mother who is between Bandera and Medina, she lost 1 axis

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              I have a axis hunt in june still. ranch lost 30% of their axis but they had alot to begin with so Im not worried about it.. The trophy fee of a buck went up $200

It def sucks for these ranches tho.. Hopefully they come back strong
                              Baker 3?

Comment

Exotic hunts and die off

Well the ranch next door here in Waller didnt loose any nor did two of my cousins places. One is west of Junction and the other Del Rio. Nor did the place down south of El Campo I hunt for red stag. I took these after snow was gone.

Last edited by denimdeerslayer; 02-25-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X