Best Factory 308 Hunting Load for a Remington SPS Tactical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Factory 308 Hunting Load for a Remington SPS Tactical

Let me start by saying I know every gun is different. I know what shoots in one may not shoot in another. So with that being said, what have you guys found shoots good out of your guns? I rarely hunt with this gun, but would like to find a good hunting load in case I want to bring it. I have already tried some cheap federal fusions and some Barnes vortex 165 grns. Neither shot to my liking.

Did you try the Barnes 168gr. Tipped triple shock. My SPS ACC shoots them great.

Comment

The federals with Sierra match kings will be very accurate in your sps but they are not recommended for hunting. I have tried to use them and 3 out of 5 deer had very small exit wounds and had to track long distances. just an FYI

Comment

I love Winchester Super X 150 gr Power Points. Very hard hitting.

Comment

Hornady SST

Comment

I know a lot of people don't like the Winchester Silver Ballistic tip on larger animals, but I've not lost a deer yet. Been shooting the 168 gr. for two years and my gun loves them.

Comment

Federal Sierra gamekings 165 grain.

Comment

My sps tactical absolutely loves the Federal 165 Sierra Gamekings. The best part is they shoot almost identical to the Federal 168 Sierra Matchkings. Either round will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards if I do my part. I would steer clear of the open tipped rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Matteo View Post
                  The federals with Sierra match kings will be very accurate in your sps but they are not recommended for hunting. I have tried to use them and 3 out of 5 deer had very small exit wounds and had to track long distances. just an FYI
                  I have heard this but have had great luck with them. Have shot whitetail, blackbuck, sika, and an oryx with them and all either dropped in their tracks or within 15 yards of where they were shot.

Comment

168Amax I knocked a couple down with it last year. I ran it with Varget powder. Have to look up the load.

Comment

Originally posted by Matteo View Post
                      That's the bullets I punch paper with, the 168 and 175gr federal gold medal match SMK's both have same point of impact and identical 1/4 to 1/2" groups.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS View Post
                        My sps tactical absolutely loves the Federal 165 Sierra Gamekings. The best part is they shoot almost identical to the Federal 168 Sierra Matchkings. Either round will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards if I do my part. I would steer clear of the open tipped rounds.
                        I've been looking for those, have yet to find any in stock.

Comment

Winchester XP3......great shooting and super hard hitting. Only hunting round I shoot

Comment

Nothing fancy but ive been using remington core lock for about 10 years and haven't lost an animal yet. I use them cause I can find them anywhere and they are cheap... They shoot dead animal accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Niko View Post
                              Hornady SST
                              X2

Comment

Working...
                              X