New baseboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New baseboards

I will be replacing my baseboards in the majority of my home. Will Home Depot baseboards be good enough, or is there better quality for me to find? The home is in Richardson.

Depends, paint grade staingrade? I would find a lumber yard close by if it where me

Comment

I am not a fan of traditional base; however, if you like the same then there is nothing wrong with Home Depot or Lowes. I prefer the simple/craftsman style of simple 1x6. I ran (with a trim carpenter buddy) 1x6 poplar in about a 5000 sq. foot house (can't recall the LF) and love the look. Doesn't work for all houses; however, it works for us. If ceilings are 10' plus I think all base looks much better if substantial.

I was referencing paint grade for what it is worth.
      Last edited by RR 314; 06-30-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Go to a lumberyard or if there's a door and sash place near you they will have every style you can imagine.

Comment

I use 8" base in all of my houses. Not sold at home depot.

Comment

I have replaced all of the base boards in my house. If you will sweep Boric Acid or Roach Proof into the crack when you remove the old ones it will really help keep the bug, spider etc... population down.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
              I use 8" base in all of my houses. Not sold at home depot.
              I bet that looks great! I would also bet you don't build houses with 8' ceilings. 8" base would look awkward in a 1970's ranch with low ceilings (IMHO).

Comment

Trim is probably one of your widest range materials when it comes to price.
                You can spend a little for paint grade and a good painter will make it look fine if your trim guy did I a good job.
                If you are going stain grade the cost climbs quickly. Solid hardwood trim is exponentially more expensive.
                Pretty loaded question overall.

Comment

Working...
                X