No announcement yet.

Hagerman Turkey Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i heard that tpwd is taking over the draw for Hagerman in 2019. if so, that means youll have 5000 people putting in for it probably

Comment

Yup, enjoy it. Those days are over soon. Me and my buddy killed the first two turkeys ever at Hagerman back to back. Shame it has to go away along with the deer draw.

Comment

Heading down there this afternoon. This weather system on Saturday is going to make it pretty tough.

Comment

Good luck this weekend to all hunting Hagerman.

Comment

Best of luck to you.

Try and find a few Tom's that are following hens out off the roost. You can call those Toms in mid morning and mid day.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
              Well.....I don’t mean to be a stick in the mud....but Grayson county birds are Rios. They classify them as “Easterns” to align with the short seasons because of the small population in Grayson county.
              Actually, based on the genetic work that was done out there a few years ago (don't remember the University that did the work), 1/3 of the Grayson/Hagerman birds are easterns, 1/3 are Rios, and 1/3 are hybrids. They stocked both species to increase hybrid vigor since neither Rios or Easterns did all that well there on their own.

Comment

We ended up doubling on opening morning. The weather was perfect with a crisp morning and a slight breeze. Birds were gobbling like crazy from the roost, but four came in silent and could not resist our Jake and hen decoy setup. Met some fellow TBHers in camp and had a great hunt overall.

https://youtu.be/SZaxNB3J_4Y

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                  Actually, based on the genetic work that was done out there a few years ago (don't remember the University that did the work), 1/3 of the Grayson/Hagerman birds are easterns, 1/3 are Rios, and 1/3 are hybrids. They stocked both species to increase hybrid vigor since neither Rios or Easterns did all that well there on their own.
                  Very interesting. Wish I had some of those in Leon Co.
                  I just like to see and hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                    Could you please provide a link to the study? I'm not disagreeing with you, but the folks at Hagerman are adamant that they are Rio's. And I'll be honest with you, they act like Rio's.

Comment

Like I said....easiest turkey hunt you’ll ever go on....congrats!

Comment

Nice bag Crosstimbers!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                          Like I said....easiest turkey hunt you’ll ever go on....congrats!

Comment

Nice work, John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              Could you please provide a link to the study? I'm not disagreeing with you, but the folks at Hagerman are adamant that they are Rio's. And I'll be honest with you, they act like Rio's.
                              Lengthy and very bio-lingo article...

My brother got a bird that was sampled for this DNA study.

Nice hagerman jake video. Way to coax in those elusive 1 year olds.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                                Lengthy and very bio-lingo article...

My brother got a bird that was sampled for this DNA study.

Nice hagerman jake video. Way to coax in those elusive 1 year olds.

Interesting article. And those jakes eat mighty fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X