Tree anomaly/question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree anomaly/question

Found this tree and it looks like someone nailed a bunch of big nails in the tree sometime ago. Then I noticed what looked like steps in the bark. I didn’t dig into the steps/bumps but I bet there are groups of nails in the bumps also. Seems like it would take a lot of work to get these nails in the tree. Especially if it was back in the day with hand tools. Anybody ever seen this before? Thoughts? Theories?

Someone nails boards going up the tree years ago...used to most trestands were 2x4 and plywood

Comment

Early climbing steps to a 'stand' or tree house. This is what we did back in the day before climbing stands or climbing sticks. Before screw in steps.

Comment

I figured the nails were for steps of some sort. Just seemed odd with the bunched group of nails/spikes. Kind of overkill. The tree is thick and old. We only recently cleared around it so it was kind of a neat find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The nails were through a foot long piece of 2x4 at one time. Climbed many of those as a kid.

Comment

Or a three strand fence that was nailed into the tree.

Comment

Used to be several trees like that when my granddad was alive. Had 2x4's nailed as a ladder. Tree stands or tree houses for us kids always had this kind of staircase. Not so safe now that I know what I know now. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

You must be a young whippersnapper to not know what that was. Climbed many a tree with 2X4 steps when i was a kid.

Comment

Working...
                X