Question about lbj grasslands and national forests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about lbj grasslands and national forests

So I am thinking of doing things a little differently this coming yr with hunting. For some yrs I would travel with my brother to public land in ohio and hunt there. Long story short, job have become more demanding, kids, life changing events, etc. I have read several threads about them all so I got alot of good info. Here are a few questions of what I am wanting to do and which place would deliver the best bang for my buck and time. Typically when I was in ohio I would hunt for 7-10 days straight, stay at a cheap local motel and do that sort of thing. Find sign, hunt from fixed stand or a climber and usually pretty successful. Nothing giant, and some does, but it was very challenging and peaceful. So what I would like to do is mimic the same thing. Hunt 7-10 days straight, bow only, climber only, (im sure ill run into more hunters on weekends). Ill be heading out from the mckinney area. So given this info where do most think I would have the best chance at harvesting game? Best chance at a buck? Best chance at not running into alot of hunters? And then all the other factor of distance, places around. etc. I am also open to any other suggestion on public land that one would think is best. Id like to stay in texas, but I have done research of oklahoma, just not sure about out of state license fee if I wanna pay that when I could hunt 3 more days in texas. So I am open to thoughts. Thanks

Ttt

Comment

This won't answer your question much. If I could afford it, I'd hunt in Ohio where/when I could. And have a lease, or leases, here in Texas where I've lived the rest of my pre married life. And post Ohio life. So many folks going to public areas I hunt here now, and used to hunt, it's almost not worth it to me any more. But I can't afford a lease. So if I'm gonna deer hunt, it'll have to be public here. And I can't afford to go to Ohio to hunt. But I did move and live there for 3.5 years after I got married back in the late 1970s, on a centennial farm in north central Ohio before returning to Texas.

I believe this is my 30th or so year hunting Texas public lands.

Comment

I've heard SHNF gets pretty packed, but never experienced it myself. I live right in the middle of Angelina and Davy Crockett, so those are the only two I've been to. Also yet to hunt bow season so take my advice with a grain of salt. I've hunted this entire gun season and only saw does, there doesn't seem to be a big shortage there. I did see one small 4 point as well but didn't pass the antler restrictions. As far as hunting pressure, if you do some good research, compare google earth with forest maps to find areas way out of the beaten path and areas that look promising, you shouldn't have a problem with getting some meat in the freezer.

Comment

Working...
        X