Beef tenderloin on the smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef tenderloin on the smoker?

I have a family gathering coming up and I want to try a beef tenderloin on the smoker. I don't usually try something new when company is coming but I don't want to experiment beforehand on $90 piece of meat. From what I have gleaned on the internet, low and slow is not the best option since it does not have the fat content of a brisket. Most recommend 300 degrees for about 45 minutes until it is 140* in the center. My questions - some recipes just call for salt and pepper, others use some type of mop sauce. (not BBQ sauce). I'm thinking about using just lump oak charcoal - don't want to overwhelm it with smoke. Any tips from the experts would be appreciated.

If you don't want to overwhelm it with smoke, you might want to use lump charcoal and put a few soaked wood chips on the charcoal. I've had great results using this technique. My family and I aren't big on the heavily acrid smoke flavor that some smoked meats have. This method imparts a nice subtle smokiness that provides a hint of the flavor you want without being overpowering. I've been using applewood chips, as the smoke doesn't seem to have the harsh flavors that mesquite can have.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
      If you don't want to overwhelm it with smoke, you might want to use lump charcoal and put a few soaked wood chips on the charcoal. I've had great results using this technique. My family and I aren't big on the heavily acrid smoke flavor that some smoked meats have. This method imparts a nice subtle smokiness that provides a hint of the flavor you want without being overpowering. I've been using applewood chips, as the smoke doesn't seem to have the harsh flavors that mesquite can have.
      I would use this method but instead of using chips i would use a pellet tray with apple pellets. I use this method when grilling any meat that i want to give a little smoke flavor to.

Comment

DO NOT BBQ THAT THING!
        Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
        Grill it to 130 internal and then let it rest, covered for 15-20 min. Sauce, not my thing on a piece of meat that good but a fresh chimichurri sauce would be excellent!
        Don't forget to pour the pan drippings created during rest period over slices before serving.
        Good luck.
        Last edited by texasbbq; 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Dad cooks them hot. ~400 for about 30-40 min, depending on size. Or until the thickest part reaches 130. Rest for about 15 min and serve. I won't insult you by suggesting a milder wood.

This is, by no means, THE way to do it. Just the way HE does it.

Comment

Originally posted by texasbbq View Post
            DO NOT BBQ THAT THING!
            Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
            Grill it to 140 internal and then let it rest, covered for 15-20 min. Sauce, not my thing on a piece of meat that good but a fresh chimichurri sauce would be excellent!
            Don't forget to pour the pan drippings created during rest period over slices before serving.
            Good luck.
            Yes sir you got it! Roll that sucker around in the flames until you got a good crust and let it rest to a nice medium rare. You should get enough wood flavor in a tenderloin if its done over lump charcoal.

Comment

If you want to impress the hell out of everybody, make beef wellington

Though, it is a good bit of work.

Comment

I would Sous Vide it. Put some kosher salt on it and a couple of rosemary sprigs then vacuum seal it. Let it cook in 130deg water for 4-8hrs. Take out of bag dry it off, coat with olive oil, some black pepper maybe some more salt. I would then sear over hot mesquite coals for a minute on each side. Make aujus with the drippings. Enjoy

Comment

You guys are making me hungry!

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                    I would Sous Vide it. Put some kosher salt on it and a couple of rosemary sprigs then vacuum seal it. Let it cook in 130deg water for 4-8hrs. Take out of bag dry it off, coat with olive oil, some black pepper maybe some more salt. I would then sear over hot mesquite coals for a minute on each side. Make aujus with the drippings. Enjoy
                    Winner

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                      I am leaning toward a similar method - reverse sear. I have been doing this with thick steaks and they come out great - nice even medium rare all the way through and a nice crust on the outside

Comment

We've done them in the smoker. Smoked it until 120, then seared the outside on the grill. Turned out awesome. We also wrapped one in a bacon weave, that was by far my favorite. I suggest not soaking wood chips because it steams the meat instead of smoking it.

Check out Jeff Phillips book, or website, smoking-meat.com. He has some awesome recipes.

If you try a sous vide, good luck with a chunk of meat that size. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

Comment

Attempted this on the offset last night for Father's Day. Turned out perfect. Cooked it between 350 - 375 until internal temperature hit 120 and then finished it over the fire. I'll be doing this again!
                          Attached Files

Comment

That looks awesome!

Comment

Homerun right there!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X