No announcement yet.

Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... I tool the plunge and canned some venison.
    At this point all I can say is, I hope it tastes better than it looks. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I've contemplated adding additional seasoning, and I may make a few mostly "finished" recipes (chili, carne guisada, etc.") but I mostly want to have an ingredient that I can put in various recipes and season as I go. I guess it depends on how you prefer to utilize the ingredient.
      Instead of salt, we use one beef bullion cube in each quart jar for "seasoning". Place it right on top of the meat in the jar. Works great.

Comment

1 beef bullion cube and 2 fresh Thai chilis or serano peppers is what I use. Only problem I have is telling the kids not to open it for a about 2 months to get the flavor good. I found if I open them quick it is good but wait a few months and it is great. Goes for tuna as well.

Comment

I just got into it as well and canned my first batch last weekend. How detailed are you guys with trimming the raw meat? I trimmed like crazy, and I want to maybe trim a little less next time if possible. The finished product is very good, I just poured the canned meat and juice in a pan, and added a little flour, cornstarch, and milk to thicken it up into gravy:

Last edited by 686; 12-07-2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
            I just got into it as well and canned my first batch last weekend. How detailed are you guys with trimming the raw meat? I trimmed like crazy, and I want to maybe trim a little less next time if possible. The finished product is very good, I just poured the canned meat and juice in a pan, and added a little flour, cornstarch, and milk to thicken it up into gravy:

Done right!

Comment

Nice! So far I've trimmed mine fairly well, but have used some tougher cuts. I haven't eaten much of it though.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Nice! So far I've trimmed mine fairly well, but have used some tougher cuts. I haven't eaten much of it though.
                Michael, post a pic of what it looks like in the jar after canning.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  Michael, post a pic of what it looks like in the jar after canning.

Here’s mine.

Comment

Guess I need a pressure canner..... I'm not a prepper, but this looks to be a required item if it is ever time to prep. Plus I LOVE meat and taters, and being able to grab healthy cooked meat off the self seems like a great idea.

Comment

Guess I need a pressure canner..... I'm not a prepper, but this looks to be a required item if it is ever time to prep. Plus I LOVE meat and taters, and being able to grab healthy cooked meat off the self seems like a great idea.
                      There's a fine line between being a prepper and being prepared.

I've recently canned venison, rabbit, pork butt, chicken thighs, duck and a couple of sauces. The venison is good. Chicken worked great for a quick Curried Chicken Salad. I'm a HUGE fan of the pork - I made quick "carnitas" tacos last week when I was at the ranch by myself, as well as some gorditas. I want to can some potatoes for a quick meat and tater meal!

I actually canned some of the doe I shot last weekend (and some chicken) in half-pint jars for quick single-serve lunches.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Here’s mine.

Yep, pretty much what mine looks like.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

How many pint jars can you cook in the 23 qt cooker? Can you stack them on top of each other while cooking?

I'm thinking even when someone has a deal on beef roast, this might be a good way to put a some up.

Comment

How many pint jars can you cook in the 23 qt cooker? Can you stack them on top of each other while cooking?

Yes, 8 over 8 pints for a total of 16, just buy an extra spacer rack or whatever they call it that goes under/between the jars. I think if you found some skinny pint jars you could maybe fit more. Walmart or Amazon has this style:

Last edited by 686; 12-07-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Yes, 8 over 8 pints for a total of 16, just buy an extra spacer rack or whatever they call it that goes under/between the jars. I think if you found some skinny pint jars you could maybe fit more. Walmart or Amazon has this style:

I think that's correct. I typically mix/match jar sizes. Buy the extra spacer and you can stack them. One of the benefits is being able to take advantage of whatever meat is on sale and keeping it for storage.

You can also can finished or near finished recipes like soups, stews, chili, etc. Just make sure you don't put anything that will expand, like beans, rice, pasta or thickeners (flour, corn starch,etc) or creams. You can make the recipe without those items and then add them when you cook the finished product. I've seen people can beans but they fill the jar less than half full to allow for expansion.

I haven't canned anything other than meat, yet, but I plan to can some of the above soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                                ....No special secret. Just meat in the jar, leave the required space and add it to Lots of different dishes.
                                You say just meat in a jar.. you don't add liquid?

Comment

Working...
                                X