No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We hunt the north side of the lake were you have to walk. Due to the distance that we walk and having to pack an animal out we always hunt in pairs. From what I know the south side of the lake has some roads but I know nothing about the hunting over there. Cellphone service is fair when your up on to, not down in a canyon. If I had to do a whole trip by myself, not sure that I would.

Comment

I've done it solo. You have to be in good shape and have a good pack. It you get one, break it down in the field and put all the meat in your pack and hoof it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
        I've done it solo. You have to be in good shape and have a good pack. It you get one, break it down in the field and put all the meat in your pack and hoof it out.
        X2
        Piece of cake compared to the Rockies

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
          X2
          Piece of cake compared to the Rockies
          Very true! x3

Comment

Yep, lots more air to breathe compared to the Rockies! But hauling 80+ pounds of meat out of one of those canyon bottoms at Meredith still isn't an easy task.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.sewall View Post
              Would making a trip up there for mulie season alone be ill advised? I live in amarillo but I don't have anyone who would want to go with me. I've never been up there deer hunting so I wasn't sure of the conditions. Thanks
              ive been wondering the same thing, cant find anybody that wants to go with me other than the girlfriend, but idk how much help she will be packing out a deer!

Comment

I live just south of the Canadian River west of the lake a ways. We have had about 2.3" of rain in the last week so expect the river to be flowing fairly well. There is probably not much if any places to cross it safely there have been more that a few cars and trucks carried down it this year. I have been out there a few times over the summer. Expect it to be grown up A LOT and walking across the canyon bottoms might be pretty difficult. If its anywhere salt cedar was sprayed expect it to be over grown bad with weeds like 6-8ft tall. Lots of mosquitos for dang sure. There near the lake there has been close to 40" of rain this year. Hunting any type of water source is probably a bad idea. Bonita Creek archery area looked promising when I was out there. Remember the Lake Meredith does not observe fall turkey season just archery and spring season.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                  Yep, lots more air to breathe compared to the Rockies! But hauling 80+ pounds of meat out of one of those canyon bottoms at Meredith still isn't an easy task.
                  Yes sir it is a heck of a task and it will be worse this year with everything grown up worse that it has been in many many years!

Comment

Originally posted by TRexFace View Post
                    If I get my act together it will be my first time out to try and bring food home with me... Wish me luck :-/

It also currently looks like this, that's not the river that's "Seasonal Wetlands". Take your thermacell and a gallon of deet.

Lets us know how it goes for you and how things look. I plan to get out there in rifle season.

Comment

I was out there a week ago camping with friends and...
                      Got rained out
                      My dog walked over a statue still rattlesnake blissfully unaware
                      Went to the top to get cell reception and had a very close encounter with a Mule Deer Buck of this size.
                      Believe me only if you want to. He was awesome.
                      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Rabbits until you die and then some.
                      And the 2nd worst sting in the world

The site says Fall turkey is allowed...

I haven't been able to set out on an excursion yet, I'm a new RN and off orientation so I'm either always tired, catching up with folks, or working. I still spend a lot of time out there so if you see the beard out creeping with an Orange and White dog say hello

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                        I live just south of the Canadian River west of the lake a ways. We have had about 2.3" of rain in the last week so expect the river to be flowing fairly well. There is probably not much if any places to cross it safely there have been more that a few cars and trucks carried down it this year. I have been out there a few times over the summer. Expect it to be grown up A LOT and walking across the canyon bottoms might be pretty difficult. If its anywhere salt cedar was sprayed expect it to be over grown bad with weeds like 6-8ft tall. Lots of mosquitos for dang sure. There near the lake there has been close to 40" of rain this year. Hunting any type of water source is probably a bad idea. Bonita Creek archery area looked promising when I was out there. Remember the Lake Meredith does not observe fall turkey season just archery and spring season.
                        You got me curious. Where do you live? Do you live on one of the ranches or maybe at Valle de Oro???

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                          You got me curious. Where do you live? Do you live on one of the ranches or maybe at Valle de Oro???
                          No sir over closer toward Vega.

Comment

Originally posted by TRexFace View Post
                            I was out there a week ago camping with friends and...
                            Got rained out
                            My dog walked over a statue still rattlesnake blissfully unaware
                            Went to the top to get cell reception and had a very close encounter with a Mule Deer Buck of this size.
                            Believe me only if you want to. He was awesome.
                            Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Rabbits until you die and then some.
                            And the 2nd worst sting in the world

The site says Fall turkey is allowed...

I haven't been able to set out on an excursion yet, I'm a new RN and off orientation so I'm either always tired, catching up with folks, or working. I still spend a lot of time out there so if you see the beard out creeping with an Orange and White dog say hello
                            I am not meaning to try and argue or be rude or anything but when I look at the link posted above by agwrestler and Google lake Meredith hunting that page only gives archery a spring seasons for turkey and does not give fall season November 7th to January 3rd.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there is a fall archery only, gobbler only season.
                              Last edited by fishanhunt; 10-11-2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I can't get the link to post with Tapatalk. You can Google lake meredith 2015-2016 hunting seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X