Polaris ranger question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaris ranger question

Ok so yesterday I started my ranger and was letting it warm up a little before heading out. It ran about 30 seconds, made a little muffled backfire sound and died. Now it will not start. I checked the fuel pump fuse, the fuel pump relay and any of the other relays or fuses I thought may be associated with it..... all good.

Now I did notice ( I think it is the fuel pump ) before when you first turn the key on you can hear it pressure up. Well I am not hearing that any longer.

So I guess my question is, any suggestions, anyone have the same issue?

Fuel/air, spark, compression. Check for all three.

Comment

Take to Honda shop and trade in Honda took care of all my Polaris problems

Comment

My buddy has had to change his electric fuel pump out a few times.....but his is an older machine (2005 I think). Fairly common problem from what I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take fuel line loose and turn key on.
          Should have fuel shooting out. If not bad fuel pump, or power to it.

Comment

My ‘14 900xp did the same thing. It was the fuel pump. Pricey but an easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              My ‘14 900xp did the same thing. It was the fuel pump. Pricey but an easy fix.
              Did you do the work yourself? I can't seem the find a service manual on line, but here is what I do know...... when the key is turned on the fuel pump relay pulls in, holds for about 3 seconds and drops out like it should. So I am thinking fuel pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
                Did you do the work yourself? I can't seem the find a service manual on line, but here is what I do know...... when the key is turned on the fuel pump relay pulls in, holds for about 3 seconds and drops out like it should. So I am thinking fuel pump.
                Yes, I did it myself. I took the pump out and tested the motor. It was bad and I couldn’t find just that component, so I ordered a whole new pump to save time.

Comment

My 2014 800 did same thing and it was fuel pump. Changed it myself also.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                    Yes, I did it myself. I took the pump out and tested the motor. It was bad and I couldn’t find just that component, so I ordered a whole new pump to save time.
                    So I pulled the fuel line and turned the engine over, no fuel came out so I am convinced it is the fuel pump.

How did you get the pump out of the tank? I put a big pair of channel locks on the seal nut and it would not budge, now I didn't really hammer down on it, but I did put enough force that I thought it should have moved. It is backward threads?

Comment

Originally posted by GOODEN View Post
                      My 2014 800 did same thing and it was fuel pump. Changed it myself also.
                      feel free to chime in, at this point I am all ears. Did you get your pump from polaris or was it a after market?

Comment

changing the fuel pump is super easy. The big nut is not backward (left Hand) threads. It should unscrew counter clockwise.

Comment

I owned three of them. First one was awesome. Second had few issues. Third one a piece of junk. Polaris shop manager told me they started farming their parts out overseas. Also - if you ever need their warranty or corporate to help - good friggin luck

So I sold my third one and moved on to a better product. If you just use a Polaris for fun they are ok - if you use one for real work or test them a little they fall apart. Good luck to you

Comment

I’m pretty sure it’s threaded standard counter-clockwise to remove. Mine was pretty tight too. The main thing is ensuring the o-ring is not crimped when re-installing the new pump.

Comment

Polaris ranger question

I replaced my second one with an eBay special. Plenty cheap and worked just fine.
                              The first one got replaced by Polaris under warranty- it lasted about 3,000 miles before dying. My Ranger hit 5,500 hundred ish miles before it got replaced.

Btw, not enough pressure is almost as bad as no flow. There is a minimum discharge pressure required- my CRS memory tells me it was 40 psi. You can hook a hose with a pressure gauge to the end of the fuel rail (after removing cap of course) and turn over to find out what your current pump is putting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X