Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital copy of NFA forms - same as paper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In this digital age, is it legally compliant to carry a digital copy of your NFA forms or do you need to carry a paper copy? It would sure be easier for each trust member to have a digital copy of all the forms on their phones, than to carry around the paper forms. You might forget to grab a folder or grab the wrong form but nobody forgets their phone. Lol! Just curious if this is a legal/compliant/smart way to carry your paperwork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean should be chiming in on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have heard all kinds of things about this. I have seen people shrink them and put them under the kick pad or rifles, folded in the handgard. Shrink them and laminate them and then attach the shruken copies to the rifle case. Then I have seen people blow them up poster sized just hoping they could whip them out to show the person asking.

Me personally I have specific rifle and pistol cases that go with the NFA items. I have copies in there as well as saved on my phone AND saved into google docs in case all that fails.

2 years with NFA items and have never been asked to show paperwork but from my understanding in the larger cities it is fairly common to be asked at public ranges to show proof.

Comment

I have never carried a copy of my trust.
        I have made copies of all the tax stamps for my suppressors and SBRs and put copies in all my trucks and in all my rangers.

Comment

I've see guys with folders of files on their phones. Seen them get checked, and they didn't go to jail or have their weapons confiscated.

I've been asked a few times, usually when hunting public land or working a contract within city limits(local PD). I keep a copy wherever I can on the host, usually folded up in the grip on an AR with a suppressor. I know I don't have to, just makes it easier for all.

Comment

Mine is on my ipad, but then I've never had to produce it either.

Comment

With my first efiled form 1 I never got a paper copy. Just electronic.

Comment

I never understood why they didn't just issue it like a drivers license / CHL / etc... Something small and lightweight you could put in a wallet. Two copies - one to put in your safe where the item resides, and one to carry in your wallet at all times.

Anyone know if there is a reason they don't do it like that?

All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

I'm slowly working getting dedicated cans for each host. On my ARs I stuff a copy of the form for the can and the SBR in the grip.

On my hunting rifles I keep the form in my stock pack.

I also keep electronic copies on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I shrank mine down and laminated them so I can keep them in my wallet.

Comment

No idea

Comment

Thanks for the replies, fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by RLUM View Post
                          I shrank mine down and laminated them so I can keep them in my wallet.
                          yup...

I also keep full size copies in my hunting/shooting bag as one will not be without the other...I'm not gonna gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                            In this digital age, is it legally compliant to carry a digital copy of your NFA forms or do you need to carry a paper copy? It would sure be easier for each trust member to have a digital copy of all the forms on their phones, than to carry around the paper forms. You might forget to grab a folder or grab the wrong form but nobody forgets their phone. Lol! Just curious if this is a legal/compliant/smart way to carry your paperwork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I'd look at it the same way as you do your car insurance. Is a nice cop gonna let you off if you show it to him on your phone? Yeah. Could he seize your property until you produce a paper copy? Probably.

ATF website:

"Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.

[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 478.101]"

Texas law used to say NFA items are illegal, but you can come to court to prove legal ownership under the NFA. That changed on Sept. 1, 2015. Now Texas law says silencers and SBRs are only illegal if the item is not "registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record maintained by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives."

Last edited by 35remington; 10-21-2016, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X